• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Favor to ask: MAD testing patch

Started by BS-er, May 30, 2009, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BS-er

As a small favor, I'd like to ask as many people as possible download a patch that will majorly help MAD. particularly multiplayer (and record/playback).  I hate to impose on BZ2 fans too much, but I could use a variety of testers to test on a variety of PCs.

I'm exploring the BZ2 multiplayer approach as a possibility, and this test will reveal if there is a PC platform that won't "play ball".  It will see if the Endless Mayhem mission stays in sync with recorded data from running it on my PC.  Tests are promising so far, with 3 different CPU variants perfectly in sync: Pentium M 2.0 GHz, Athlon Thunderbird 1.1 GHz and Core2Duo E8400 3.0 GHz.

If you have the 0.1 or 0.2 beta (or patched to 0.21) and would like to help this testing, please grab this patch (21.2 MB):
http://www.orderlymayhem.com/downloads/mad_beta_0.22_patch.zip

If you would like to grab the 0.2 beta, it's at:
http://www.orderlymayhem.com/downloads/mad_beta0.2.exe

Testing is fairly simple:
1) Extract the patch to the MAD game folder that contains folders mad_win, media and mad_config.
2) Run the batch file MadGame_logging.bat in folder mad_win.
3) In the "Instant" section, launch the Endless Mayhem mission.
4) When the camera sequences are done, press Ctrl ~ to display the message console.
5)  Make sure that last line shown reads: "Reading Log input file: log_input/Endless Mayhem (IA).bil".

The test will run for about 15 minutes if successful.  All you need do is sit back, watch the battle, and wait for either of these messages to appear:

LOG ERROR: Input file mismatch at cycle  ?????   ***************************************************************  

or

FULL INPUT LOG MATCH!!!  Cycle 13507   ***************************************************************

When either of these appear in the message console, jot the cycle down (only if the error occurred) and stop the mission.

You can press Ctrl F to toggle the stats and watch the update cycles tick away.

Please post pass/fail results here in this thread, along with CPU and OS details.

A big thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand!!!

Red Devil

I'll give this a whirl on Sunday.
What box???

OvermindDL1

I got the "FULL INPUT LOG MATCH!!!  Cycle 13507" thing.  CPU is an AMD Opteron 64-bit x2, running Windows XP 32-bit.  I also noticed that the game is only using one CPU, although its affinity is set to both, it never even seems to touch the other core.  Also, Average FPS ranged from 168 to 260, seems mostly CPU bound, and considering it seems mostly CPU bound, perhaps it would be best if it used both cores?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

BS-er

Cool, thanks for testing, and thanks for the observations.  That's 5 widely different systems that passed the test.

I don't think it's fully CPU-bound (unless your graphics card is truly a beast), but using only one core probably holds it back some.  When I actually buy a multi-core system, I may be able to work that angle a bit more.  I've been pinching my pennies lately.

Red Devil

I got a success:

FULL INPUT LOG MATCH!!!  Cycle 13507   ***************************************************************

Athlon 64 3500+,  Powercolor ATI HD3650. 2GB RAM, XP Pro SP3
What box???

Red Devil

Forgot to mention that interface disappears after tabbing back to game, but it comes back when you use the mouse.

Got 60 FPS at 1680x1050, 32bpp
What box???

OvermindDL1

My video is an overclocked ATI 3870, I can play Crysis at max with no issues, so yes, a beast it is.  :)

VSMIT

Jeez, OM, how far did you OC that thing?
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Feared_1

My friend can play Crysis at maximum details. That computer was EXPENSIVE.

bigbadbogie

I've really gotta upgrade... I got this comp a year and a half ago and I can only play Crysis on Medium (some high settings) without a ridiculous FPS drop.

OM... you must be a trazgillionaire!!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Power Board

Just a small question... What is MAD?

technoid

Red Devil

I had suggested awhile back about using Steam to distribute, but it looks like it's free now:  :-)

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/
What box???

OvermindDL1

It always was free as I recall, just you have to prove you are reputable and so forth before they give it to you.  :)

Sonic

I also got a success on my father's machine. Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Northwood Hyper Threading with Windows XP SP3.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."