• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

My darn tilde key (~) isn't working.

Started by Fractangle, June 08, 2009, 02:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fractangle

I installed TA5, and started it. The first thing that I noticed was that my profile that I made after the CD install had changed its name from "Fractangle" to some large string of gibberish. That's easily remedied, especially since I had simply created that profile to test the key with, so I proceeded in.

Now, my standardized test for the "workingness" of the tilde key was to start Alien Dunes with settings of Easy Small Large (so that I had a squad of 3 warriors to test individual selection from squad), so I started it. Lo and behold, I now have full functionality of the tilde key!

For scientific thoroughness, I may test public beta 4 at some point, but for now, I'm going to take a break from beating my computer over the head with a stick and instead have the computer AI beat me over the head (or hedoux? :lol:) with a stick.

Red Devil

Don't install to C:\Program Files, but to new root folder.
What box???

Fractangle

What I did in the beginning was I installed a fresh CD copy to C:\Games\Battlezone 2 CD, and copied that folder before doing each install test. So, in my Games directory, I have \Battlezone 2, \Battlezone 2 CD, \Battlezone 2 CD Newkeys, and \Battlezone 2 CD 1.3 TA5. Well, had. Now that TA5 gave me back my tilde key, I deleted the Newkeys one, as it was useless. The plain Battlezone 2 one was where I originally had FE, G66, and I think Newkeys.

Mr X

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 08, 2009, 03:23:52 PM
like he needs it :P...

ITS OVER 9000!!!

Quote from: Fractangle on June 09, 2009, 12:05:58 PM
I'm running Vista, and believe me, blech doesn't cover the half of it.

I don't get why everyone seems to hate Vista, its always worked fine for me :P
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Warfreak

It's easier than some may think to get Vista working in a way you wish program-wise. Resource-wise not so much.

Ive never gotten the whole "~" messup. I know this as I am perfectly able to split groups and rotate buildLayouts.

VoodooChile

the problem exists only in 1.2, if u play 1.3 theres nothing to solve :)

in 1.2:
install newkeys, then go to: C:\Program Files\Battlezone II\addon\Custom
move bzgame_keys.cfg to C:\Program Files\Battlezone II\addon
that fixes the tilde key problem. (100% sure! :) )

u can use newkeys in 1.3 too, its nice to have, saves a lot of typing

King Gladiator

Quote from: Fractangle on June 09, 2009, 12:05:58 PM
I'm running Vista, and believe me, blech doesn't cover the half of it. I remember the good ol' days, when file systems didn't explicitly lie to you about where you were saving things... </offtopic>

As to the test, I'll start with TA5, since I've already downloaded its installer, and bigger numbers are fun.  :-D

bottom line-vista is horrible...and i have to use it  :cry:
The only thing that is necessary for evil to succeed is that men of good will do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

cheesepuffly

Quote from: King Gladiator on June 20, 2009, 03:31:37 PM
bottom line-vista is horrible...and i have to use it  :cry:

Ur horrible, vista rocks!

Other than the occasional (actually frequent, like 30% of the time) having file managing problems it works fine for me.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

King Gladiator

The only thing that is necessary for evil to succeed is that men of good will do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

AHadley

The administrators at school (neither of whom are particularly intelligent) insist on using Vista, which is probably why the server breaks so often.

Nielk1

Quote from: AHadley on June 20, 2009, 11:12:05 PM
The administrators at school (neither of whom are particularly intelligent) insist on using Vista, which is probably why the server breaks so often.

That would be Windows Server 2008, tons more stable and less bloated than Vista. Able to have a desktop installed to be just like Vista.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

We use XP Pro in my college. But the PC's are so hoot there is barely worth it (64MB RAM.... WTF!??).

Im in the proces of having a real moan at my college for their system. Looks like people are starting to listen to me. Our fileserver system is terrible.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

King Gladiator

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 21, 2009, 05:04:56 AM
We use XP Pro in my college. But the PC's are so hoot there is barely worth it (64MB RAM.... WTF!??).

HAHA wow...thats sad. im sorry
-Edmund Burke

AHadley

Sorry, but if you ask me XP Pro and XP Home only fall short to XP MCE2003 and Windows 7 for standalone desktops and laptops. Servers the only thing better is Server 2008, like NK1 described. It's not sad, it's one of the best Windows OSs available.

Zero Angel

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 21, 2009, 05:04:56 AM

Im in the proces of having a real moan at my college for their system. Looks like people are starting to listen to me. Our fileserver system is terrible.
Thats horrible. XP simply *crawls* on a 128MB computer but 64MB? How does it even function? The admins are way better off just loading a lightweight linux on there like puppy, as well as a lightweight browser like Kazehakase (which uses >10MB RAM on startup), even then it still might be slow but perhaps not intolerably so.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression