• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Old guys playing Bz2

Started by kmiller1610, June 10, 2009, 01:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmiller1610

I have a regular LAN party with a bunch of friends who have been gaming together for over 22 years. We are 48 - 58 years of age.

We are old and slow and just enjoy the games with minimal challenge.

We have Pentium 4 machines and have been playing 1.2 with the G66 MAPs for 3 or 4 years. We can turn down the difficulty levels to the right levels for us. But as we have been upgrading our equipment our machines have been crashing more while playing under this set up. I have tried older drivers and am still having problems.

I have been trying out the new techalpha patch the past few days to see if I can gain some stability and keep the gameplay the same. It's pretty, but even with all the Extra Options set in my favor, the same Maps I can beat under 1.2 are impossible for me now.

I realize that nearly all the gamers here want a serious challenge. But is there some way to lower the difficulty without giving myself a huge fleet of ships to manage? I assume the AI was upgraded with 1.3. My old circle strafe move isn't working any more....

Thanks you for any suggestions. This is one of the best LAN games of all time. I would like to keep playing it with my old buddies...

Red Devil

Good timing.  I'm on the tail end of making Natty Bumppo's G66 2.0 ready for 1.3 and I've recently added a feature that adjusts the health of the AI units according to difficulty level, so hang tight for a bit and you'll have your wish.
What box???

VoodooChile

kmiller1610

Thanks for the news Red Devil. I am looking forward to it. The G66 set is just terrific. And there are a few maps we are still working on (Forest Lawn), so having them work under 1.3 would be great. Our 5 hour game on the Fortress Map was one of our best parties of all time.

VoodooChile. I thought I had done that.. Set player scrap to 3 and AI scrap to 0. Wasn't enough to get me over the hump.

Wraith

kmiller1610 if youd like i can get one of my friends to join you in an mpi one day if you need help. Hes one of the best players and a decent buddy. Just message me if you want his messenger email.
Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

Post a log in Overdrive Terminal if you have a malware/virus problem

Axeminister

You guys join me when you can. My wife and I only play mpi's 99% of the time and G66 is also my favorite. There is a version that works great for patch 1.3pb3, we play it a lot. Check it out at:

http://www.bzcomplex.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battlezone_2_1.3pb3_Install_Guide
There is no knowledge that is not power.

kmiller1610

Thanks! I played one default MAP and it worked fine, but when I loaded one of the G66 Maps, I got the code down the left side of the screen. Doesn't really matter. I'm hoping the new version of G66 will work with the tech alpha version of 1.3. I can wait and fiddle. Our next LAN party is probably a ways off anyway.

Axeminister

you just press ctrl-~ to make that go away. That's the only weird thing about that one. It totally rocks.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

kmiller1610

Ahhh, I tried shift tindle. Seems to me that was the command in Quake... Thanks...

kmiller1610

Okay, I have played two MPI games under 1.3pb3, both a standard MAP and a G66 MAP and it's obvious that the difficulty adjustments work under 1.3pb3 and do not work under techalpha. The easiest settings under 1.3pb3 ARE easy, even by old guy standards. But the techalpha games are, for me, consistently hard.

Should I report this to the techalpha area or this already known?

Red Devil

Nope, the version I'm working on works fine in TA5.

BTW, it looks like you guys are the real vets.   :-)
What box???

TheJamsh

Off topic for one post... 1610 doesnt mean 16th of october does it? that would be strange for me :P...

Oh and welcome to the forums!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

kmiller1610

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 12, 2009, 08:06:13 AM
Off topic for one post... 1610 doesnt mean 16th of october does it? that would be strange for me :P...
Oh and welcome to the forums!

It's a long and boring story. When I was applying for my very first email address, the ISP wouldn't take kmiller1 or 2 or 3 or 4, so I got mad and just picked a 4 number extension. 16 was always my favorite number (Frank Gifford's number) and I just added the 10 for texture.....

kmiller1610

Quote from: Red Devil on June 12, 2009, 05:56:30 AM
Nope, the version I'm working on works fine in TA5.
BTW, it looks like you guys are the real vets.   :-)

Yeah, but our learning circuits are severely degraded!

Finally beat an MPI game solo in Techalpha.. Love all the new stuff.

TheJamsh

Youve just reminded me of that extension pack i was making. really need to get that finished now college is almost over...

Hopefully thatll give you some stuff to sink you're teeth into :). Its nice to know theres more people playing BZ2 than might be on the forums. The community always feels so small over here...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.