• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Metal Drift beta

Started by BlackJacket, June 11, 2009, 07:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackJacket

I apologize ahead if promoting a game is against the rules, I didn't see anything about it so here goes.

We're a tiny little indie company making a game called 'Metal Drift' - it's a team-based online futuristic arena combat hovertank game.  I haven't played BZ, although I do remember it back in the 90's around the time I was working at Dynamix on Tribes 2.  People tell us our game reminds them of BZ all the time, so I thought I'd let you guys know about it.

We were "featured" on rockpapershotgun a couple weeks ago, here's the link with some videos:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05/20/drift-to-experience-metal-drift/

The game page is here if you want to check out some screenshots: http://www.metaldrift.com

If you are interested in joining the beta on Steam, sign up here:
http://www.blackjacketstudios.com/forum/

Thanks!

-Brian

anomaly

Nice.  Kind of reminds me of Battlezone 1 dm gameplay.

OvermindDL1

I still wonder if I am the only one who relates BZ(2) to Action Real-Time Strategy, and not generic hover tank shooter...
I see no RTS in that game...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

BlackJacket

There is strategy, as there is strategy in any sports game, but yeah, it's not structured like an RTS.

Zero Angel

The art of that game is really impressive.

One of the great things about BZ2 is the team-based gameplay. DM's are fun for awhile but they eventually get old -- the same cannot be said for an objective-based 'strat' game which involves gathering a team and suppressing the enemies resources while building your own as well as protecting your base and attacking the enemy's.

If you want to go the DM aspect of it give the user something more substantial to do other than just blow each other up. The more team elements and objective elements you have the better.

On the physics side of it I have some suggestions. Give the game more of a vertical aspect as well, and by this I mean give the user the ability to go up ramps onto higher levels and to use jump thrusters to access certain parts of the map and to use for dogfighting maneuvers. This is one of the most fun parts of BZ2's human vs human combat aspect.

QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

BlackJacket

Metal Drift has no deathmatch.  It is team based, the gametype is sort of like mechanized soccer.  You take the ball to the other team's goal to score.  It's a simple gametype, but it's enough to focus the players and spin off strategies like coordinating defense, playing zones, etc.

The upgrades for the tanks also allow the player to take on various roles - stealth, repair, extra speed, armor, hyperspace, etc.

We have several maps that have a second level that you can drive up with bridges over the bottom level.  Usually the ball spawns on the bottom level and the team has to move the ball to the upper level to score.  We also have boost tunnels around the outside of the level to provide alternate routes into the other team's base.

I can see where you would get the impression that it's a mindless deathmatch from the short video.  We'll have to try and do a better job on the next one.

Zero Angel

Ah cool, interesting to know. Let me know if you need any beta testers.  :-)
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

OvermindDL1

Sports has tactics, not strategy. :P
Looks interesting to try though if you have any demo's or anything available soon.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

Reminds me of the "wipeout" series for playstation. made by psycognis or something i think. THAT was a very cool game before BZ2 was around!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

mrtwosheds

QuoteI haven't played BZ
:-o
Rectify this status, with a high priority! were still here playing and modding it because no game devs have equalled or bettered it yet!   

ScarleTomato

it actually kinda reminds me of the hovertank game that came with the windows 95 cd. much better graphics though :wink: ahh, those were the days

TheJamsh

hell yeah. 1990-1999 were always the best games!

AHadley

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 13, 2009, 02:57:53 AM
Reminds me of the "wipeout" series for playstation. made by psycognis or something i think. THAT was a very cool game before BZ2 was around!

Hmm... Psygnosis? I didn't like many of their games... though the F1 ones were pretty good.

TheJamsh

thats the one... i only played that game of theirs i think.

wipeout had me for a while, hell i think i may even have it somewhere... but it was a good play. wish id stuck at BZ2 instead though!

Zero Angel

Quote from: AHadley on June 13, 2009, 10:51:02 AM
Hmm... Psygnosis? I didn't like many of their games... though the F1 ones were pretty good.
Wipeout, Colony Wars, and G-Police were all excellent games.
{bac}Zero Angel