• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The year 2012 info

Started by Wraith, June 11, 2009, 10:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

Or a deity ignored and forgotten for many years shows himself and separates the faithful from the unfaithful throwing the unfaithful into eternal damnation and giving the faithful a new, pure earth.
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

Quote from: iron maiden on September 07, 2009, 09:33:13 AM
it really is impossible to fore cast a specific end to the world because the world could end so many different ways. Nuclear Holocaust, meteor strike, gamma ray burst, just to name a few.

Robots, The Matrix, conversion into a quantum state so thus nothing can be established by observation (the observers are in said state too) so everything just ceases to exist.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

Gamma ray bursts happen at least once a day and last for a few seconds then die down. They don't cause much harm unless one hits you squarely in the genetics or something.
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

Beta radiation is most damaging. More so than alpha and gamma anyways, I haven't started the advanced physics course so there may be others that I don't know about.

Clavin12

Gamma radiation is by far the most damaging. Beta radiation can be stopped by aluminum foil while gamma takes several inches of lead. Look it up.
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

Ah, but gamma radiation for the most part passes straight through human flesh, and can only cause damage if it 'hits you squarely in the genetics' as you so eloquently put it. Beta radiation is entirely absorbed by the human body. 'Tis GCSE Physics. (TAKS to you?)

Mr X

How damaging it is depends on where it is in relation to you,

if it starts iff inside you alpha is the worst as it all gets absorbed by your body, whereas gamma would pass through,

likewise from the outside gamma and beta are more damaging.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

VSMIT

Except that beta particles are stopped by stuff like clothes or your skin.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Clavin12

From the outside gamma is the most damaging because it penetrates straight through you. Gamma bursts are from very very far away and thus are a lot less dangerous than they would be up close.
C l a v i n 1 2

Feared_1

Lets make it simple:

Too much of any radiation is dangerous. They're dangerous in their own ways, but they all usually end up making you sick.

iron maiden

what your forgetting is that burst's of radiation like that do damage to the ozone layer which results in uvb rays from the sun to penetrate the earth through the holes caused by the damage. not to mention that a weakened ozone results in a slightly weaker atmosphere which makes meteors tougher to burn up upon entry.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

AHadley

Ultraviolet light is highly unlikely to cause radiation sickness / poisoning.

Quote from: Feared_1 on September 08, 2009, 02:29:32 PM
Lets make it simple:

Too much of any radiation is dangerous. They're dangerous in their own ways, but they all usually end up making you sick.
:-D

Raven

Um...

Alpha radiation travels a matter of centimetres, and is blocked by the skin. Its a comparatively large particle consisting of two protons and 2 neutrons, with a positive charge. It can be stopped by most substances (its used in smoke alarms, the smoke blocks the particle from hitting the detector = alarm sounds.) Although externally it poses practically no threat, if an emitter finds its way inside your body, and the radiation ionises from it, serious damage can occur to organ tissues. The lungs is a favourite.

Beta radiation can indeed be stopped by foil, it travels a bit farther than alpha, some instances up to several feet. Its a fast moving electron and can get itself a few millimeters into your skin. Again, poses a hazard if a source of the radiation is inside your body but doesn't have the 'rape factor' that alpha has.

Gamma passes straight through your body. It isn't a particle, its a photon and acts as a wave (wave-particle duality ftw.) However, as it passes through your body, it does quite a bit of damage due to its high energy and frequency, which is what enables it to travel pretty big distances.

Come on folks I did this crap years ago! :P

All radiation is bad under the right conditions and quantities.

Clavin12

What i'd like to know is how to reverse nuclear decay (which causes radiation).
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

Quote from: Nielk1 on September 07, 2009, 11:41:16 AM
Robots, The Matrix, conversion into a quantum state so thus nothing can be established by observation (the observers are in said state too) so everything just ceases to exist.

Oh, I forgot! Daleks an Cybermen.

Click on the image...