• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Water on the minimap

Started by ScarleTomato, June 16, 2009, 10:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarleTomato

Is there a way to keep water from being drawn on the mini map?

and if not, what all goes in to drawing the water? I see that the transparency of the minimap color is somewhat dependant on the alpha of texture1 but it seems to become opaque much faster than the actual water and makes it look out of place.

here's an example with the texture1 alpha value set to 10
http://stu.cbu.edu/~myarbrou/Images/water.png
Its hard to see but im sitting kinda in the middle of the far right green pool facing south

Edit: on a side note it seems that the water.vel controls the speed of both the water and the bump textures and the bump.vel does nothing. Does this happen for anyone else?

TheJamsh

no way to keep water from being drawn im afraid...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Steeveeo

I think it draws the terrain color under the water at full brightness, try changing the underwater color to a dark version of the water color.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

ScarleTomato

unfortunatley the terrain underneath seems to have very little effect.

now im confused though, the coloring on other maps seems to do alright. I'm guessing it has something to do with the environment but i have no idea what would be causing it.

Steeveeo

Maybe it's the fog color in the water, I think that may have been it.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

It draws one of the layers of water at full opaque-ness. I remember from working on a map a while ago, the water level is just used to make a murky looking ex-lave stream. The hot terrain is simulated by giving the water damage. The annoying thing is its my water colour that shows, not the terrain underneath. Nevermind, just have to deal with it...

anomaly

I know this isn't much of solution but, if it isn't too much trouble, couldn't you just delete the water, then generate the minimap image you'll use and then use a save of the map before you deleted the water?

ScarleTomato

it seems that it regenerates the minimap everytime you load up the map

anomaly

I thought there was a way to tell the map to use a specific picture for the minimap, or am I thinking of the in-shell preview pic?

TheJamsh

nope. Cant do that im afraid.

ScarleTomato

if i were to the point of creating a preview pic i probably would use that suggestion. I like that pic being an actual picture of something distinctive on the map though.