• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Refinery System

Started by Nielk1, July 02, 2009, 04:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

This was just brought up as a random idea when the project was private. I have since modified it and here is MY version:
A refinery is made and refinery trucks are made.
Units leave some unrefined bits behind, basically scrap that normal scavs will ignore that doesn't last too long.
The truck grabs them and brings them to the refinery.
The refinery acts like and extractor as long as it has raw 'on its pad'.

I actually am designing the demo of this to infuse about 5 scrap at a time less often than an extractor and only when the scrap bar has 5 or more free space.

The demo should be able to lay over top of BZ2 as a simple mod run from a folder. I would love opinions on it when I get it done as a POSSIBILITY for the CP.

I just finished the ISDF refinery model, next the Scion, then the trucks, then the ODFs, then the DLL :D

Click on the image...

Axeminister

Would two resource bars be in order? One for refined bio-metal and one for regular. Refined would give access to better tech like building the tech center does. Could be used for a race that uses this instead of a tech center. Sounds cool either way because the current system doesn't have a visual on how the scrap goes from scav to resource bar.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Nielk1

In my design a pile of metal exists on the refinery platform. That is the only feedback. I might send some values to shell to see about making more HUD things...

Click on the image...

Rocket

Quote from: Axeminister on July 03, 2009, 12:29:11 PM
Sounds cool either way because the current system doesn't have a visual on how the scrap goes from scav to resource bar.

I was thinking that maybe it should be that there is a pipe that runs from the scrap pool to the recycler, underground, made by a small digging-piping drone that is released from the scavenger when it deploys.

I've heard another theory about it flowing through the air, to the recycler, but that sounds a little too unrealistic for me.

Using truck-like vehicles, sounds sensible though.

And, cool idea, refined scrap... Hmm, never heard of that one before, interesting...  :-)
Hidden Defenders Mod

Nielk1

Treaded scavs are such because they are heavy. They are heavy because they carry biometal to energy converters that let them beam it to the Recycler. This is also how extractors work. This was an explanation made up by the community.

BZ1 scavs are light and hover because they only physically hold the scrap and carry it over.

Another thing I am working on as a mod/map is a cave map were each side gets special units that dig out scrap from rocks.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

i was thinking about using a system like that for a certain race, where you would have to build junction pipes between extractors and the 'recycler' to get the scrap. BAD idea.

As for the refinery, my plan was to use a special 'recyclerbuilding', that would slot in next to you're traditional recycler. You would gain scrap as normal, and you can build extra silo's to store more raw scrap if you want to. However, if you have a certain amount of scrap in the refinery, you could 'build' a refined block of scrap, which a special 'tug' (actually a scavenger with a scrap class mask), would carry to the recycler that actually builds things.

of course, the whole would be worth more than the sum of its parts, and would give you extra scrap, at the cost of a longish build time. Hell you could even use a special build effect to make the processor laser out some sort of bio-metal block.

Extractors would of course have tapped flare mines, which would occasionally throw out spraybombs with scrap.

Im obsessed with doing things without .dll wherever possible. Its not that i don't have faith in it, i just like to be able to place things and it will work :). Of course, with N1's .dll, the possibilities are endless.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Axeminister

If we are wanting to stay close to the story lines created by FE and others why can't we stay with getting scrap the default way Battlezone II does it and concentrate on making different ships, races, weapons, buildings and storylines. I don't think our project should make everyone learn new resource management.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Nielk1

Quote from: Axeminister on July 24, 2009, 09:21:53 AM
If we are wanting to stay close to the story lines created by FE and others why can't we stay with getting scrap the default way Battlezone II does it and concentrate on making different ships, races, weapons, buildings and storylines. I don't think our project should make everyone learn new resource management.

The refinery ideas is #1, just an idea thrown out there and #2, a supplementary income. I have no idea what TJ is going on about though.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

I was talking about a slightly different refinery-like system thats all.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.