• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

How to make a pool with a different texture?

Started by Fractangle, July 05, 2009, 03:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fractangle

Hey all, so I've been working on an idea I had: A map that is a pizza. I get how to put custom textures on the terrain, but the pools pose a problem. I need a pool with a texture that I made, but I can't seem to get the texture to paint over that of the pool in the editor. Is there a good way to make such a custom pool? Thanks!

P.S. Any particular toppings I should include? :-D

mrtwosheds

Chilli...
You need to make a custom pool.
Get a pool .xsi from the xsi pack (on bz2scrap)
Open the xsi  (in notepad) and edit the texture name to the name of your texture.
Place both in addon or your maps folder, add those pools to your map.
Once you are happy with it replace the .xsi with the msh it created in the battlezone2/data/bindata folder.
and pineapple.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I thought of this the other day when thinking about the same problem; getting bio pools to match varying maps. Couldn't the part of the pool (the square part) be set to transparent so it blends in with the surrounding terrain as you wouldn't need a texture at all, or would that not work or cause a major frame rate issue as outlined in previous posts? If it did work it would visually hide the ugly square thing and make the actual pool blend in perfectly with the terrain itself on any and all maps.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

GSH

Pools (and other terrain-owning buildings) replace a chunk of terrain. So, if the pool had transparent chunks would render against what's below it, which is usually the ambient (== far fog) color.

-- GSH

Fractangle

Quote from: mrtwosheds on July 05, 2009, 03:37:23 PM
Get a pool .xsi from the xsi pack (on bz2scrap)
Done.

Quote from: mrtwosheds on July 05, 2009, 03:37:23 PM
Open the xsi  (in notepad) and edit the texture name to the name of your texture.
Which texture part? I see:

SI_Texture2D  {
                  "Z:/modelsdirectory/BANE/PICTURES/bane2.pic";

and later in the file I see this:

SI_Texture2D  {
                     "Z:/modelsdirectory/DarkPlanet/PICTURES/reflection3.pic";

And later still, I see this:

SI_Texture2D  {
                     "Z:/modelsdirectory/BANE/PICTURES/bane2.pic";

Do I need to edit one of these, some of these, or all of these?

Chili might be difficult to do well, but I'll see what sort of pineapple I can whip up... :wink:

VSMIT

The texture names you'll change are the ones that say bane2.pic right now.  Reflection3.pic is the stock reflection texture.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Fractangle

Pepperoni pool is now operational. Thank you for the help! Now to see about some of those other toppings... :-D

mrtwosheds

And of course you can alter the color of the terrain frame (called grid1) by changing the values in its SI_MeshVertexColors {
Then you can get the pool to match your chosen map-terrain colour exactly.

anomaly

Quote from: mrtwosheds on July 06, 2009, 10:46:43 AM
And of course you can alter the color of the terrain frame (called grid1) by changing the values in its SI_MeshVertexColors {
Then you can get the pool to match your chosen map-terrain colour exactly.

There's a tutorial on bz2maps.com that explains how to change that stuff.  It doesn't look too hard and can make your pool blend in real nice on the map.
http://www.bz2maps.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=683

BNG Da BZ Fool

When using the color eyedrop tool in the map editor it displays 4 numerical groups. I know 3 of them are the RGB values; is the 4th set the alpha level? Just thought I'd ask for use with my paint programs color picker? Tanks, BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

AHadley

I think 4th is alpha, yes. If you change the value it should make the colour more (or less) transparent.