• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Drat... Any helpers?

Started by TheJamsh, July 06, 2009, 12:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

Been toying with this for a few hours now and im going insane with it...

Im using a gun tower which fires a weapon with local ammo. Now my problem is i want ONLY a special service pod to replenish that ammo... Tried all sorts of ODF lines including masks to get the tower to take on the powerup but it wont.

As a side-note, removing the collision_hc frame didnt work either.

If this doesnt work, is it possible to have mobile service bays (no NOT trucks). SO that whenever they are within so many metres of a filtered object they will replenish its ammo? I ask because the service bay NEEDS to be a tuggable object...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

VSMIT

That's how BZC makes its GTs work.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

any chance blackdBagon or Avatar could swing my way then :)? I couldnt for the life of me get it to work.

So long as the tower doesnt have a crap collision afterwards (by BZ2 standards :D) and you can still use the terminal its alll good.

Nielk1

Quote from: TheJamsh on July 06, 2009, 12:30:09 PM
Been toying with this for a few hours now and im going insane with it...

Im using a gun tower which fires a weapon with local ammo. Now my problem is i want ONLY a special service pod to replenish that ammo... Tried all sorts of ODF lines including masks to get the tower to take on the powerup but it wont.

As a side-note, removing the collision_hc frame didnt work either.
It has to not own terrain, which means no terrain plate. Perhapse it can own terrain but have no plate... Plate imply collision, even if it has to make its own.

Quote from: TheJamsh on July 06, 2009, 12:30:09 PM
If this doesnt work, is it possible to have mobile service bays (no NOT trucks). SO that whenever they are within so many metres of a filtered object they will replenish its ammo? I ask because the service bay NEEDS to be a tuggable object...
Mobile service bays are DLL in that way. IE position a service bay inside of a moving unit. As a tuggleable object? Even better. SHOULD work without DLL.

I had an idea to make my PASC have batteries near GTs that expired, but I did not like that idea very much for actual game play.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

it has to have no collision model or base plate.

:)

*****General BlackDragon*****

TheJamsh

The tuggable service bay wouldnt service the GT, even with the correct settings under [ServiceDepotClass] or whatever it was.

Will try to remove the base plate (by remove i mean re-name to something else :D), with ownsTerrain = 1. But that means that the terminal wont work doesnt it?

BNG Da BZ Fool

Is a dll similar to creating a custom ai process? We've all heard tons about the magic stuff that can be done with dll's, but very little in how they're actually constructed in general terms. Are there any sources of information on how to get started in making custom dll's?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

TheJamsh

for that you need Mircosoft Visual Studio (easy to download) and need to learn C++.

aiprocess 'es are hard coded into BZ2, so you cant create new ones. They basically tell bz2 what said object is and how it should behave, what options to give you in the command menu etc.

GSH

The readme included with the 1.3ta5 DLL source distribution -- a file I've mentioned before -- notes what additional software you need in order to build DLLs. It's a free (but large) download from Microsoft. However, you would also need to learn C++ programming in order to edit/modify DLLs effectively. If you have previously programmed, this may not be that hard. If you haven't programmed before, let me caution you that it's a BIG amount to learn -- especially because C/C++ is not usually regarded as beginner-friendly.

-- GSH

General BlackDragon

and yes, making gun towers able to accept powerups makes them also non interfacable (breaks terminal)

Pick one.

Nielk1

I did rather well going from Java and VB to C++. I still do not know a lot and C++ is a real pain in the ass. With it though you could detect nearby powerups and apply them automatically.

About the service bay, when you tugged it, did it service at all? I mean a general one set to service all, does it service you? Or does the service area get stuck where it was made? Or does it not service when not owning terrain?

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

The moving object i made didnt service anything at all. It was literally a powerup crate with a few frames added in the XSI, and a modified service bay ODF file.

I tried with the service truck, but forgot that 'turrets' class as 'craft' and not buildings, so that didnt work too well.

As a side note, i tried the no collision or baseplate trick, still didnt work.

General BlackDragon

Zero Angel

Would it be possible to make the GT into a self-upgrading class? Or at least have it be a factory type building which can 'upgrade' its guntower tap to the exact same thing, but in doing so reset its ammo count?
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

General BlackDragon

WITHOUT a constructor? no.

THOUGH, i suppose you could spawn an invisible constructor and make it the factory. And make another tap the gun tower. Constructors can build units too, so it would work.