• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Creating backdrop skydomes...

Started by TheJamsh, August 01, 2009, 03:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

Can someone help me out on this? Where do i start with creating skydomes that have backdrops. You might see my latest map has one of these, but thats not my texture, and i want to know how to create them.

For some of the map ideas i have i want the backdrop to be MUCH higher. Can someone run me through? This will also prove a useful tutorial down the line...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

mrtwosheds

You could just raise the dome up using the dome.height console command.

bigbadbogie

All you need is a 360 degree skydome texture, and a 360 degree mountain range texture that you can paste onto it.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

raising the dome higher doesnt quite work the way i want it do...

BBB, how do you make such things? or where do you get them?

TheJamsh

Searching google came up with a few tutorials. Now i can make skydomes... yay!

Raven

Ages and ages ago spAce explained how he did it on his mind-exploding maps in ZEmod. But I don't have the pdf anymore, and as far as I'm aware the ZEmod site they were on went down a long time ago.
Something to do with an initial 360 panorama and a combination of the the polar coordinates filter and fisheye in photoshop (or an equiv package) that warped the image in a way that it ends up being circular (and tiled perfectly) but distorted to compensate for the curve of the dome.

TheJamsh

Youre spot on. The idea is to create a HUGE image first, both in depth but more importantly width. You then use a polar pattern filter on the image, and make sure that there are no clouds at the top of the long panoramic image before you do it.

Its actually very easy. The most difficult part isnt sorting the texture into a circular one, but making the panoramic texture...