• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Creating a plot for the 1.3 Community Project: Part 2

Started by Angstromicus, August 02, 2009, 12:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which stories do you favor the most?

Mr X's Time story
15 (60%)
AHadley's Perfidious story
9 (36%)
DROP PENDING: Gen_Hoohah's FE Sequel
5 (20%)
ScrapPool's Full Circle story
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 25

bb1

Who had that space carrier boarded idea? That model would be a CP in itself. Bays where you get in a tank or service bike for occurrences such as that slimming to no-vehicle corridors,.. Remember, BZ2 is much less of a pilot FPS than bz1 (and even that was pretty abbysmal, although it felt more like you were running forward than sliding on ice) unless you severely tweek pilot physics on that level, it will be no fun. Or Halo, which is the "both" option. Plus the texture O_O ' ' ' Generic bumpmap, anyone? New pilot model because you wouldn't wear helmets indoors (MASTER CHIEF?! ) A mission like that sounds fun but would have to be short or done with precision.

Anyway, the reason I liked scrap pool's so much was the ending. It had the same Meteor of Achilles flying towards Earth with Grizzly 1 talking about how history repeated itself; all those briefings and field manuels and artifacts finally give you the AH HA moment- it all makes sense and you leave the game with goosebumps. and then get to watch the so so blah bz2 ending

Feared_1

Nielk1, we're going to have several people combine them, I think. That's a lot of work for one person and we want lots of ideas.

Tempest Storm

Quote from: bb1 on August 03, 2009, 07:01:58 PM
Who had that space carrier boarded idea? That model would be a CP in itself. Bays where you get in a tank or service bike for occurrences such as that slimming to no-vehicle corridors,.. Remember, BZ2 is much less of a pilot FPS than bz1 (and even that was pretty abbysmal, although it felt more like you were running forward than sliding on ice) unless you severely tweek pilot physics on that level, it will be no fun. Or Halo, which is the "both" option. Plus the texture O_O ' ' ' Generic bumpmap, anyone? New pilot model because you wouldn't wear helmets indoors (MASTER CHIEF?! ) A mission like that sounds fun but would have to be short or done with precision.

Anyway, the reason I liked scrap pool's so much was the ending. It had the same Meteor of Achilles flying towards Earth with Grizzly 1 talking about how history repeated itself; all those briefings and field manuels and artifacts finally give you the AH HA moment- it all makes sense and you leave the game with goosebumps. and then get to watch the so so blah bz2 ending

Creating a space boarding mission would probably be a lot easier than it seems. The model work would be quite a job although I think there could be a ton of tricks to be done to scale down that work to a feasible level. FLS did some work with indoor infantry combat that was pretty fun although it was nowhere near the scale of such a thing. Zephyr also worked out the infantry combat physics way better than FLS did, there are some good examples to follow out there. I think that the real challenge would be finding the right AI processes to work everything out properly and possibly the scripting to make everything work smoothly. Would it be a lot of work? Yeah, but thinking outside of the box would make something of that scale reasonable and fun.

On the topic of Scrappool's ending I have to say I am against that one as well, it's just my personal opinion but I just don't like the outcome. Humans discover Bio-metal in the 50's and have a total secret war in space with the stuff, after the events of BZ2 Humans and Scions begin to find out that they are not the only races that currently have access to bio-metal, through this discovery they are almost wiped out by a corrupted Hadean Crown forces along with the Cerberi war machine only to come out victorious after a long and hard uphill battle, not to mention any other MOD story lines you may consider to be eligible to be counted as canon. And after all of this it turns out Bio-metal just comes into existence because the Scions went back in time? IDK but it seems like a let down to me :(

Up until now every other known species to make extensive use of bio-metal has destroyed itself or come near to total obliteration. Unlike the bio-metal users of the past however Humans and Scions have yet to actual face extinction like the others have. Have Humans and Scions reached the height of their power with bio-metal by now? Are they destined to fall? Or will they continue to prevail? Bio-metal seems to be a chain for others, it allowed the civilizations to rise to powers far beyond their standings before its discovery but they all eventually fell, eventually passing on the technology to a new race as time marched onward. Perhaps answering these questions is the right idea for a conclusion with a project like this, and perhaps the CP's story should finally reveal the creator's of the substance that has influenced many races. Although I feel like in such a case, based on how the BZ story has come along as it has, that a Progenitor race type of archetype is better suited for such a conclusion.

Of course it can't end the story of BZ, the cycle should and probably always will continue. Although after all this time and all the races before the humans wondering where this stuff came from it kind of kills it all to find out its just some kind of paradox IMO.

bb1

Seeing as 1.3 is most likely the final patch to BZ and a 1.4 community project and a BZ3 are highly highly unlikely, why can't the chain continue? Biometal outgrows humanity just as it did to every other race it encountered - - can you really expect that Humans are the only creatures that united against it rather than destroyed each other over it (CCA furies)?

Well.. The destructive properties of biometal are never fully tapped IMO. Those "rogue furies" could be stopped with a small group of gun towers and a functioning armory to keep them healed. I'm thinking those NSDF linguists did a poor job translating and the ISDF should revisit it...what if those Cthonians were never more powerful than humans of the time? They could travel through space as we could (In the 1960s?!) and had some buildings lying around. How do we know that the NSDF and CCA deciphered the artifacts correctly? The cerberus might have been, for all we know, their grizzly tank. Just something to ponder.

VSMIT

Quote from: bb1 on August 03, 2009, 11:30:55 PM
Seeing as 1.3 is most likely the final patch to BZ and a 1.4 community project and a BZ3 are highly highly unlikely, why can't the chain continue?
Even though there may never be a 1.4 or BZ3, having the biometal chain continue means that future mods or community projects aren't constrained to doing something completely new.  This leaves the door open for the next generation of BZ2 players that end up liking the game enough to mod it.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Nielk1

Avatar's story has bioemtal exist well before the Cthonians. In fact it must have if the Titans attack them before they have biometal and are not the name of the furies they themselves make. The BZ1 info on artifact objects suggest Avatar is correct. Thus to kill bio-metal, you have to go to go to it's beginning, possibly to the first race ever in existence to reach the level of technology to use it. And who is to say someone else does not make the same thing?

Click on the image...

bb1

Nobody said biometal exists because it "exists" in scrappool's story, it simply shows a little bit getting to Earth the first time. I think his discription and summary are off in the way that it shows the origin of biometal, if only because such a small sample hitting early Earth would be completely buried/melted/mixed with a tiny TINY chunk of crust or mantle, that it would be utterly unusable to humans in the '60s. Rather than rewriting canon, it is adding to it by saying the bering meteor wasn't the FIRST FIRST time biometal was found on earth. Perhaps a bit of useless trivia, but that is what makes stories fun.

Nielk1

The first biometal on Earth was brought back by the first man ever on the moon, Jon Beardsly.

Click on the image...

Mr X

Quote from: Nielk1 on August 04, 2009, 09:01:54 PM
The first biometal on Earth was brought back by the first man ever on the moon, Jon Beardsly.

He was the english guy working for the Nazis right?

I think I'd like to put the Nazis into the storyline in a period of history that gets visited.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Smiffy Bagels

Quote from: Mr X on August 05, 2009, 12:59:45 AM
He was the english guy working for the Nazis right?

I think I'd like to put the Nazis into the storyline in a period of history that gets visited.

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warfreak

It COULD be arrange, however would be EXTREAMLY short lived.

Third Reich Forces died out in space due to ill-constructed craft.

AHadley

Just so you all know, ScrapPool hasn't been putting anything in for a while because he's been on holiday. Nor have I, for the same reason.

He sent me a PM the other day, so I'll put it up here now.

Quote from: ScrapPool on August 02, 2009, 07:51:07 PM
Hey so if I seem somewhat unresponsive during the next week (or if I don't respond at all) it is because I am on vacation again! If anybody wonders, you'll know.

Also: if discussion of merging stories comes up, know that I am very interested, if we are looking for a story based primarily on "Full Circle", in inserting the intra-wormhole-key-hunting featured in Mr. X's story into the "intermediate missions" of Full Circle. It is a cool idea. In the same vein, however, I am extremely NOT keen on time portals or time machines in the traditional back to the future or star trek black hole sense. I'd also like to steal ideas from perfidious in order to kind of add to the time before Full Circle begins, but in a full, merged plot.  :-D

These ideas both hold that "Full Circle" is the central plot right now, while adding elements from others, but its all I can think of (right now) while keeping the elements of storytelling in tact that I feel should be in tact and incorporating elements of other stories without violating those elements all whilst having a relatively concise, contiguous storyline.

SO DUN BLAME ME FOR BEING SELFISH! :lol:

Why am I telling you this you ask?
So that you might speak on my behalf a little bit while im gone, I say!

Mr. X said something about me being rather inflexible, and then the Cerberi being the ideal bad guy. I was thinking about this a few days ago, and I thought, maybe amongst the Cerberi technologies discovered on the destruction of the Mothergod in PF is an Abercurie Drive. The tech is copied and built into the Ark III.

I also very much like Mr. X's crossover storyline. I shall mail it to ScrapPool with haste!

Mr X

Quote from: Warfreak on August 06, 2009, 01:13:40 PM

Or is that what the scions who time travelled wanted you to think?
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Nielk1

Quote from: Warfreak on August 06, 2009, 01:13:40 PM
It COULD be arrange, however would be EXTREAMLY short lived.

No no no, they LANDED.

Then they died.

IIRC the prototype NSDF had some fighting with them. Weird looking turrets that fall over every few seconds.

Click on the image...

bb1

Nothing in my BZ field guide said anything about Nazis on the moon.