• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Has there been any texture types added to 1.3?

Started by cataclisto, August 05, 2009, 09:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cataclisto

What are all the textures we can use in 1.3, can someone list them so i have a good idea?

Warfreak

Gladly:
.png
.tga
.pic
.dxtbz2
.bmp (not recommended)

Think thats all of them.

GSH

There's also .jpg/.jpeg, .gif (non-animated), and .tif/.tiff. BZ2DXTGen (see this board) reads a few more file types than BZ2 does, and you should use dxtgen to convert your textures from whatever uncompressed format you like to .dxtbz2 before distributing your mod.

-- GSH

Feared_1

I made a ground texture that was 4096x4096 just for hoots and giggles. My computer was gagging in the image editor, didn't convert from .tga to .dxtbz2, and didn't even work in game. Scaled it down to 2048x2048 and it worked, though. That was .tga, and I haven't tried other file types (doubt it will work anyway, but it was still fun), so we'll see.

GSH

DX9 has a limit of 2048x2048 for textures. If you had used .dxtbz2, it should have auto-skipped any and all mip levels over 2048x2048 and give DX9 mips starting at 2048x2048. If your graphics card had a limit under 2048x2048, .dxtbz2 should once again drop mips over that max and hand it whatever it could handle.

I considered making 1.3ta5 only load .dxtbz2 files, in order to "encourage" people to convert to that file format before releasing mods. Part of me still thinks I should have gone that way.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

dxtbz2 files cannot be converted back can they? But they can be viewed.

Personally, im only supplying .dxtbz2 textures in my mod, because not only does it prevent people from using my effect sprites all over the place unless i allow them to do so, but it also keeps the FPS up high, especially when my particle effects are much heavier on the system.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

OvermindDL1

It is possible to convert dxtbz2 back.  It is a normal dxt file but with a new header, a very tiny bit of hex editing and it should work fine.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

tssk... i guess the 450 effect sprites in serenesis will now be used by others :lol:. Oh well, i guess i made enough.

Rocket

Hidden Defenders Mod

TheJamsh

If you put them into the original texture then yes. They have everything youre originals do, but are much more compressed.

GSH

do DXTBZ2 textures have alpha channels?

1.3pb4, pb4a, and ta5 have all shipped with .dxtbz2 files as their primary texture format. Alpha channels work just fine; you're seeing those in action every time you play.

-- GSH

cataclisto

the dxtbz2 would they be about the best on heavily textured maps?

GSH

Look: how clear do I need to be to say that if you're running 1.3ta5 at stock settings, every texture you see onscreen (except the localfog volume texture) is a .dxtbz2 texture. .dxtbz2 works. Stop asking questions, and just plan to use .dxtbz2.

When you're creating textures, use a format, e.g. .tga or the like, that your image creation tools and modeling programs use. Convert that to .dxtbz2 and ship only the .dxtbz2 with your map/model/mod.

-- GSH