• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Bridge bug in Scion mission

Started by Josh Echo, August 21, 2009, 05:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Angel

Quote from: Vid on August 23, 2009, 03:23:51 PM
Now you have the fun of playing the next mission where the enemy will send constant heavy assault forces at you + has a bomber.
Make sure to post a hornet rckt tank near your front defenses.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Vid

I prefer to shoot down the bomber once, then starve them of the resources to remake a bomber bay :) 
But if a rocket tank can pop archers out of the sky, it should work on a bomber.  I've just never tried it.

technoid

Quote from: Vid on August 24, 2009, 05:46:22 PM
I prefer to shoot down the bomber once, then starve them of the resources to remake a bomber bay :) 
But if a rocket tank can pop archers out of the sky, it should work on a bomber.  I've just never tried it.

Yes, they work, but you'll need to reconfigure the rocket tank with hornet missiles IN the factory, because popping down crates to get hornet doesn't work anymore in TA5.x (unless it was put back in).  You may sometimes have to nudge rocket tanks to hit aircraft first by targeting them, depending if they were focused on something else, then they'll learn it on their own.  This was part of the advertising of BZII when it came out, i.e. AI learning/experience levels.

bb1

Part of the Battlezone II experience was that the I key said RCKTanks are AA- they should know how to do their job!

You know, there's more going on than just that...   the AAN Base continues to produce and send out Sabres.  I watched three of them win the game in fact.   

I'd built up a wall of GS's backed by Service Trucks and had three Maulers sitting there to go after Walkers when three AAN Sabres cruised by the wall and headed around the corner.  I heard AT shots, then the game was over.  I had just enough time to zip around the corner and see one smoking Sabre sitting there, so I figure they took out the last attack wave of Assault Tanks.

Seems to me that in TA5 the AI are at all times 'busy'...  they don't just sit there or drive into the drink like they used to...  this is true of mine as well as the enemy, as I didn't lose any Service Trucks to the water on this map like I remember doing the first few dozen times I tried it.

I'm not saying they're any smarter, just that they seem to like to be busy now...  :)  (less lazy?)

-Av-

Quote from: Vid on August 24, 2009, 05:46:22 PM
But if a rocket tank can pop archers out of the sky, it should work on a bomber.  I've just never tried it.

They do attack on their own, but usually only after the Bomber drops it's bomb.  :(

You can tell any unit to attack an air unit and they'll try.  I told Sabres and AssTanks to go after the APCs and Bomber and they did pretty well.

In the mission in question you get three Assault Tanks coming at you down the canyon that are a real pain in the butt now that the AssTank uses weapon range instead of rolling up to within your GT's range.  (RD did that, I believe...  hehe)   I've lost my whole base to them when I built my wall of GTs.  Now I build a couple of GT's around the corner, hidden by the hills, and a couple on the other side by the farther pools.  The AssTanks roll up to take out the hidden GT's and are then in range of all four.

I keep three AssTanks of my own sitting there next to a Scout and tell them to attack the incoming AssTanks whenever they show up.  I also tell them to go after the APC's and Bomber when it shows up, but they need help with the Bomber unless it comes down the canyon (which it seems to do now and then).

In all this was the first mission where I saw the AI use the Bomber, and use it well.  Even with the larger bomb model used now it's tough to shoot the bomb, so I like to keep an eye on the Bomber and take it out whenever I see it.  There used to be a bug where if you took out the Bomber you could end up with two of them coming at you, which was brutal...

I love that mission not only for the Bomber/APC attacks, but for the fact that I'm in a Warrior with ISDF weapons at my disposal.  I miss Blink, but toss in a plasma and morph and you're a floating AssTank.  Makes it easy to take out the Bomber and most of the base on your own, but it's more fun to throw two squads of Sabres at it and watch the carnage.  :)

-Av-

bb1

That USED to be a bug? Try still is! I've had it happen in MPI chill and on some G66 v2 map.

Zero Angel

Quote from: Avatar on August 24, 2009, 07:34:49 PM
I love that mission not only for the Bomber/APC attacks, but for the fact that I'm in a Warrior with ISDF weapons at my disposal.  I miss Blink, but toss in a plasma and morph and you're a floating AssTank.  Makes it easy to take out the Bomber and most of the base on your own, but it's more fun to throw two squads of Sabres at it and watch the carnage.  :)

-Av-
Love being a warrior with ISDF weapons. PL-Stab/Chain is great for softening up entire attacking armies. I suppose if you add m-curtain on to this, you have immunity vs enemy asstanks, so long as you sit in the middle of the field.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Vid

I enjoyed the Assault SP stab, but perhaps I just like SP stabs.  Plasma feels too slow for me. 

The A-Tanks that come from the canyon aren't horrible if you hide towers behind hills and put 4 service trucks on one.  The one that comes from the north can be a real pain and do some heavy damage as there is not a good place to hide a tower from it.  I usually have some chain turrets just under the lip of the hill to protect that north extractor.  The A-Tanks rolls over the hill and instantly 3 turrets open up on it.