• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Losing

Started by Red Devil, August 05, 2009, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feared_1

Avatar, that post is the best I've read pertaining to the community.

Thank you!

Red Devil

*everyone gathers closer to the fire as Papa Smurf tells tales of the "The Olden' Days"*   :mrgreen:
What box???

Warfreak

That was beautiful.  :cry:

I can take losing, so long as it's not a test game... Don't feel like bringing up the 20+ times i got left out of a 4Way Strat test for SRV in the first hour of the 4 hour session... Long stories, and very boring. :P

Red Spot

Quote from: Avatar on August 08, 2009, 04:07:26 PM
.... snip .... I hate to say it but I think a lot of the whole 'Vet' attitude in all games is feedback for running into so many newbs that not only are clueless, but mean about being clueless...

I think that holds some truth, but I also think the other way around has some truth to it. What I mean is that some Vets easilly spot a noob and dont mind humiliating him/her, where I feel you should give them some room (possibly to hang themself) and give them some feedback about their gameplay. I dont know how often in MPI I tell people/noobs to keep a focus on pools and that there is no need to rush the enemy on GH-maps as it will just cost them their ship, the ones that take the advice become much beter grunts in the timeframe of a single game .. and that again saves me the frustration of having a wingman that has twice the deaths as he has kills.
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Mr X

Yeah, sometimes it can get really frustrating when a guy on your team keeps setting off statues which then send ambushers etc, at your base and generally pwning whatever units you have because you've only just entered the world.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Everyone needs some 'free time' to develop a feeling for game etiquette, no matter the game.  I once rushed into the central chamber on some Tribes2 CTF map only to be smashed back by a few enemy players...  totally destroying the mini-base someone had been carefully setting up.  It took a few minutes for it to sink in, the damage I'd done.  The guy that was setting it all up took it a lot better than many would have...

Vets go through stages the same as all players.  I think the stage where you put up with noobs is fairly brief, depending entirely on how many noobs stab you in the back or otherwise dump on you...  The truly excellent Vets are the ones that realize that extreme patience in training new players is what keeps the game growing.

By the time BZ1 came around I was getting pretty tired of Quaking it...  I was ripe for something that took thinking rather than twitching...   :)  We were all noobs together back then, and the hackers ruined the game long before anything more than Clan Pride was running rampant.  I never saw the attitudes common nowadays until the hackers started showing up, they were like noobs given nuclear weapons and turned loose...

Modern games like COD, BF2, etc. have less trouble developing Vets because the basic skillz are all there when you start playing the game, not after you've played it for a year.  IOW the learning curve has shortened considerably and I don't think that's a good thing...  It's a lot like the hardware/internet connection cost disappearing, it 'lowers the bar' too far.   :P

The big thing is to remember this stuff when you become a Vet in a game...  and don't go over to the dark side...

-Av-

bb1

I played BZ on Compuserve and a P133 with no hardware accelerator card Beige Box. Don't get on me with hardware...we've had that for years before BZ came out!

... That was back in a time when FPS didn't mean anything to me. The ATI Rage pro 2mb (or was it 1mb?) accelerator and a PII? That was liquid silver for bz to me at about 45 FPS if I remember correctly. Twas amazing to feel like all this time my internet lag wasn't due to dial up- but my crap PC!! :D

Bz2 on that PII? Ha. That was a funny story. I waited 2 hours for the loading screen to finish and when that was done...well let's not talk about the textures and models and how they rendered. Kind of like jellyfish translucence actually.

And here I am, back to trying BZ1 on my newer rig, more importantly BZE. Framerates at or worse than that P133. A fitting end to a bellcurve, eh?

Lol... isn't it strange how now the hardware is almost TOO powerful to run the old girl, rather than not powerful enough? 

As an old hardware packrat I don't think I'll ever be without a rig to run BZ1 natively, but it's still great to see people keeping the old girl going.   

-Av-

bb1

I agree except where you call BZ an "old girl." That is the most inaccurate observation made ever :O

bigbadbogie

Exactly!! The correct term is Old Woman.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

I told you I spent a lot of time playing with Brits...   

So what should I call her?  Remember, I've known her since before she could walk...   :)

-Av-

sabrebattletank

Avatar, you should call her "Late For Supper."