• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Malware warning!

Started by TheJamsh, July 25, 2009, 11:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vid

AVG looked like your run of the mill antivirus scanner, and I used it when I put it on dad's machine.  Later I found Avast and have been using it.  However avast's interface is somewhat...  different than AVG, Norton, Mcaffee.

Eset impressed me alot, but not enough to warrant the money for it. 

If you can give norton a quad core with 6gb of memory for vista or 4gb of memory for XP(I know it will only use 2.5 - 3.5gb), then I might think of using Norton if it wasn't for a gaming machine/anything I wanted to be fast at all.  However I still like the idea of using "blocking" software that has a MUCH smaller footprint on the computer than either mcafee or norton and in my opinion does just as good a job.

Raven

Quote from: Vid on August 09, 2009, 01:34:54 PM
If you can give norton a quad core with 6gb of memory for vista or 4gb of memory for XP(I know it will only use 2.5 - 3.5gb), then I might think of using Norton if it wasn't for a gaming machine/anything I wanted to be fast at all.  However I still like the idea of using "blocking" software that has a MUCH smaller footprint on the computer than either mcafee or norton and in my opinion does just as good a job.

A quad ore isn't your run-of-the-mill machine though. They're for people that do intensive graphical work and gamers. Having to have that kind of power to not notice an antivirus program is a sick joke eh?
Yeah you're right on the blocking software.

I really, REALLY don't like McAffee or Norton. They're terrible. And overpriced. If you're going to pay for one, get NOD32 since its probably the best one and isn't exactly hurtful on the wallet.

AHadley

For some reason, AVG keeps picking up the same MSN-based thing over and over again, hidden in a text file ("C:\Documents and Settins\Anthony Hadley\Local Settings\Application Data\Windows Live Messenger\trigger-_-finger@atdmt.co.uk" or something like that) and refuses to 'heal' it, saying the file isnt found... i can move it to the vault, but it just pops up again

Vid

submit the file to virustotal?

And for norton/Mcaffee, I exaggerated a little....
They really only need a single core all to theirselves to not notice them too much.  For a single core machine though, I wouldn't wish them on anyone.  Basically if you have a dual core machine and put norton/mcafee on it, you just transformed it into a single core machine.  :)  That is if Norton/Mcafee play good.

Raven

Hogging up a whole core is still diabolical :lol:

squirrelof09

This is why I stick with the anti-virus I invented. Myself.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Zero Angel

Quote from: AHadley on August 10, 2009, 01:51:30 PM
For some reason, AVG keeps picking up the same MSN-based thing over and over again, hidden in a text file ("C:\Documents and Settins\Anthony Hadley\Local Settings\Application Data\Windows Live Messenger\trigger-_-finger@atdmt.co.uk" or something like that) and refuses to 'heal' it, saying the file isnt found... i can move it to the vault, but it just pops up again
Navigate to that spot and delete it manually?

Quote from: Vid on August 10, 2009, 04:27:59 PM
submit the file to virustotal?

And for norton/Mcaffee, I exaggerated a little....
They really only need a single core all to theirselves to not notice them too much.  For a single core machine though, I wouldn't wish them on anyone.  Basically if you have a dual core machine and put norton/mcafee on it, you just transformed it into a single core machine.  :)  That is if Norton/Mcafee play good.
Well, thats not completely true. Multi-core machines seldomly take advantage of both of their cores, and only tend to do so when there is a huge amount of activity going on at once. 2 CPU hogging activities will each get allocated to a core without having to 'fight' over the processor time (and thus slow your computing down). Whereas if there was only 1 CPU hogging activity it would most likely bog down the first core and the second core would still be available for use, like a single core machine that had nothing running.

So yeah, if you are heavily multitasking, and norton/mcaffee just happens to be hogging your last core, then your computer would start to slow down much like a single core machine would.

Also, they don't run ALL the time, they just have an algorithm to run at the most inconvenient time.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

AHadley

Deleted it manually, it's come right back again.