• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Proposed history for the 3rd Cthonian faction

Started by Mr X, August 27, 2009, 12:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the third Cthonian faction be called?

Phosphornii
Phosphorii

Mr X

Quote from: Rocket on August 30, 2009, 09:01:18 PM
actually i've been pronouncing it as:

metia (mee sha)
metis (mee tis)
metians (mee shins)

Well, you go tell the ancient Greeks that...

Quote from: Clavin12 on August 30, 2009, 07:31:52 PM
Then tartarans it should be.

Actually, I'm not so hot on Elyssians or Tartarans, the reason for this is that I don't think they should qualify as either good or evil (especially not evil, as Tartarans would suggest). Does anyone see my point here?
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

iron maiden

how about instead of greek mytholagy, we try roman mythology, i propose the Janians, after the roman diety Janus.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

Mr X

Quote from: iron maiden on August 31, 2009, 01:13:27 PM
how about instead of greek mytholagy, we try roman mythology, i propose the Janians, after the roman diety Janus.

Because if its Greek it ties in with the other Cthonian factions.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Clavin12

What if its a hybrid race between hadeans or olympians and some other race.
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

The Hadeans and the Olympians basically were the same race just drastically divided IIRC.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

Granted that many of the cthonian names are identical to Greek mythology but we are not taking into account that the Cthonians did not visit other types of peoples, thus spreading their influence over the who world. it never said they just visited greece.

Nielk1

Click on the image...

gegc

I just realized that I have a "Dictionary of Greek and Roman Mythology" in my possession, so I went through it and picked out some names that would at least remotely make sense.
I'm making several assumptions as to what the third race are/what they did:

• They are a convergence of the Hadeans and Olympians.
  • They are fundamentally peaceful.
  • They created biometal and other advanced technology.
  • They created/control the portals.
  • They abandon and/or hide their homeworld to escape attack by either the Hadeans or Olympians.

I only picked out names of gods because that is what the Cthonians are supposed to be.
Here is the list of names I picked out and why:

• Aeolians - Aeolus was the keeper of the winds (appears in the Odyssey) and lived on a floating island. Since in the Odyssey the winds were used for fast travel, we can equate them with the portals that are apparently becoming central to the story. The floating island analogy may be used if they decide to turn their homeworld into a rogue planet to hide it.
  • Demetrians - Demeter was the primary earth goddess and a sister of both Zeus and Hades (hence the 3rd faction). Her daughter Persephone was stolen by Hades, causing Demeter to become upset and the earth to become infertile. Eventually, the Olympian gods were forced to intervene, compromising with Hades so that Persephone spent half of her time in Hades and half on Olympus. Persephone here can easily be equated with biometal, as per Mr. X's storyline the Hadeans attack the third faction to get the biometal technology, and the third faction abandons lays waste to their planet and appeal to the Olympians for help.
  • Eireneans - Eirene was the manifestation of peace in Greek mythology. Since the third faction is supposed to be peaceful, it would not be surprising if the Hadeans and Olympians gave them this name (Although I do not think that peacekeeping would be the primary function of the third faction, I thought this name would be worth including).
  • Hestians - Hestia was the "keeper of the fire" and (more or less) the goddess of the concept of home. She was also a sister to the main gods. In mythology, she stayed away from the disputes of other gods and remained a virgin. The "fire" that she represented was a "homeland" concept to the Greeks; each city maintained a city hearth and colonists took fire from that before departing. Here, fire would be equated with biometal due to its importance to the Cthonians and its presence wherever the Cthonians went, and the neutrality of the goddess is also fitting for the neutral faction.

iron maiden

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

Rocket

Yeah, Hestians is probably the best pick there.
Hidden Defenders Mod

bigbadbogie

It might be better to use a name that doesn't start with the letter 'H' to avoid possible confusion with the Hadeans.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

AHadley