• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

extreme map-changing .dll power?

Started by TheJamsh, September 21, 2009, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

Okay... this is something thats been thought up for the Serenesis storyline so cant go into too much detail... but.

I want a .dll to 'change' the height, possibly textures and color of terrain vertices. Is it possible? Ever? There ARE ways around it, and maybe even better ways (like creating terrain__h objects at certain locations, hell i may even be able to animate them...

Thankyou kindly.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

DLL-based teleport is the only way to make the map appear different that I am aware of.

TheJamsh

No i can have the .dll place, or 'animate' texture objects (now with vert animation :D), which 'own' terrain. Although i would in this instancep robably use a gigantic model, or a series of models making up one big one.

I know at least two maps are going to require multiple models to make up one, as they will form otherwise impossible-to-create terrain formations.

Nielk1

Since I will invariably end up doing this for you, what the heck is this going to be? PM me?

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

you may be able to move the models. but the real question is: Will the collisions change as well?

*****General BlackDragon*****

Nielk1

Quote from: General BlackDragon on September 22, 2009, 08:41:12 AM
you may be able to move the models. but the real question is: Will the collisions change as well?
No the main model itself will have to be changed at the end of the animation, or at key points.

Click on the image...

shane ward

The terrain can be edited a little by using objects to change the high and width of the terrain however you cannot have them move or appear to move from my knowledge, the terrain is a basic height greyscale image and each pixel represents the height location. All the information is in the ter file that can only be properly edited in the editor.

Also any changes you are able to make cannot be saved as the game will revert to the old terrain, parity strange if you are high on a hill and when you reload the hill is not there anymore.

Collisions in objects cannot be animated, however once the animation is completed you can replace the model with the finished product. So you animate the hill growing then you just replace the finished hill with a permanent one.

I believe the colour cannot be edited, unless you can find someway of making a weapon do this for you, like the black marks they leave on the ground, maybe something like this might work, but again, once you reload the map from fresh, it will be gone.

Make any sense?

Umm...
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

TheJamsh

I think the best way to do what im planning is via multiple buildings making up one large one (dependeing on how BZ2 handles it really)

To spill the idea a little, its for an Arena Battles type SP mission, which you must complete and fight against various *INSERT RACE HERE THAT YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT* gladiators. YOu do this to prove youre warrior strength and will, as the arena constantly changes shape and layout, confusing you and inducing panic. Quite epic eh?

Some under-ground (and under & over at the same time) based maps will have large textured buildings to form the terrain. Especially as one of these missions will partake on foot for the most part.

Nielk1

You could do that with basic movement of massive blocks.

Click on the image...