• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Math Rock

Started by sabrebattletank, September 29, 2009, 01:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabrebattletank

Does anyone know any good math-rock bands?

I decided to get into math-rock and I don't know where to start.

iron maiden

A. i don't know what the hell a math rock band is

B. what do you sing about? 2 plus 2 equals 4?
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

sabrebattletank

Math rock is... it's like... Imagine...

My impression is that math-rock developed thusly:

Fugazi (big name band from Washington DC, they really were the precursor to "emo." Song of note: "Waiting Room") took punk in a certain direction, then split off from that style emo and what nonsense that goes with that. Booooo. But other bands started experimenting with cool time signatures and abrupt changes in rhythm and such. Math-rock is like post-rock in that it's so all-encompassing, and two math-rock bands could sound very different. Math-rock is not usually symphonic, like post-rock, rather it generally stays true to its punky roots by keeping a limited instrumentation.

It's not called math-rock because of its vocal themes, but because the time signatures and rhythm vary so much that it seems "mathy."

hybirdisdf

Same for dentist rock band.Iv seen odd rock band names.It not bother me about bizzare song bands.

Nielk1

Oh good, I thought someone was going to sing the Fibonacci.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

sabrebattletank

AHadley

Quote from: Nielk1 on September 29, 2009, 03:57:21 PM
:lol:

Make sure you know your instrument is all I can say, lol...

VSMIT

Fibonacci on the Theremin.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Zero Angel

Quote from: Nielk1 on September 29, 2009, 03:57:21 PM

The Fibonacci sequence is embedded in the time signature syllables of Lateralus by Tool
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

AHadley

Quote from: VSMIT on September 30, 2009, 01:14:11 AM
Fibonacci on the Theremin.

Ooh, I'm getting one of those!

TheJamsh

wierd... i FIRST heard about this genre in college today... then to find something on BZU about it... odd.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

sabrebattletank

Yeah my suitemate is into math-rock but he's all the way in the other room and you guys are on my computer so I figured might as well hit you up first