• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

HDD Death

Started by Nielk1, October 02, 2009, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technoid

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 03, 2009, 03:59:23 PM
Would a company that recovers data try this before the clean room step?

Ask them to see what they will/can do.  They will determine what's best to do first, before doing open heart surgery as the last resort. 

Here's a link to another data recover service (in Canada tho) that gives audio examples of hard drive problems (I didn't check them though to see if they work, couldn't bother downloading browser plugins).  Does yours sound like any of them?

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Nielk1

"Western Digital desktop drive with bad heads clunking."

I had just consolidated all my files for backing up, hence why I lost so much. I am normally rather decentralized with various slightly out of date copies about my network. Not yesterday.

Click on the image...

ScarleTomato

For the control board I wouldn't go to the clean room guys just yet. Usually it's a fair chuck of change before they even look at it to estimate the actual cost.

I'd call up some local computer repair shops and ask them how much it would be to test that. They might do it for less than the cost of a new HD if they already have one in stock

Otherwise its about a 40-50 dollar buy. A pretty easy fix on you own, usually about 4-5 screws and a ZIF Connection

Nielk1

I am looking at places that test Level 1, then Level 2, then Level 3. Physical failure is LV3.

EDIT:
Looks like $965...

Click on the image...

Nielk1

Maybe I should get a list of everything and 'sell' some stuff from the recovery to pay for it.

Click on the image...

Raven

Man this sounds familiar.
My condolences, I know exactly how you feel.

squirrelof09

There's a guy around here who will do that work for $500. but, if he's unsuccessful $100. You up to mailing in your hard drive down here in Alabama? If that interests you, I'll give you the information you need to send it in.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Nielk1

The place I have now has given me the info on how they do it and I like it. They will be removing the platters in a clean room and not just repairing the heads and hoping for the best like many companies do.

The issue is the clean room itself costs most of the price.

I think I will do some 'modding for hire' for a bit. Basically anything I would have NEVER done before or not had at the top of my list. (Actually, you all know how I am, it would modding nudging toward the donate button.) Unless I can find another lawyer in need of a logo, that was a nice $100 those 2 years ago when that happened.

I am also thinking of doing a ton of mid range to low poly space ships and putting them as a big game ready pack on turbo squid, but that might never pay off and just waist time. I basically want to use some of my darn skills to make some money, not sit at a cash register all day pressing buttons.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 06, 2009, 05:35:01 PM
I am also thinking of doing a ton of mid range to low poly space ships and putting them as a big game ready pack on turbo squid, but that might never pay off and just waist time. I basically want to use some of my darn skills to make some money, not sit at a cash register all day pressing buttons.

You could take up bank fraud. I hear there is a fair bit of money to be made.

Or you could become a prostitute!

And all of a sudden, pressing buttons on the cash register doesn't seem so bad after all.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

sabrebattletank

Nielk1

Note to self: Never say anything BBB can latch onto again.

The real reason is I HATE people. They are stupid, uncouth, and ignorant 90% of the time. I am told I am very personable but I have no idea how. I don't fly off the handle and yell at ppl like I do in IM though.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Agreed. People are scum. Lets kill them all.

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 06, 2009, 06:07:24 PM
Note to self: Never say anything BBB can latch onto again.

Didn't work did it.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

technoid

Well, I guess it's a better deal than, say, $1965 or $2965.  :P

Nielk1

Quote from: bigbadbogie on October 06, 2009, 06:16:36 PM
Agreed. People are scum. Lets kill them all.

Not 10% of them.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

If you could find 10 innocent would you stay your hand?