• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

HDD Death

Started by Nielk1, October 02, 2009, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feared_1

Quote from: sabrebattletank on October 06, 2009, 09:21:41 PM
If you could find 10 innocent would you stay your hand?

And the city was still destroyed ;)

Nielk1

I consider many of the people here in that 10%. That being said, people act differently online than in real life.

I'll get me a donate button and a job queue soon.

Click on the image...

AHadley

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 06, 2009, 09:38:49 PM
I consider many of the people here in that 10%. That being said, people act differently online than in real life.

Hey, thanks :)

Clavin12

Quote from: Feared_1 on October 06, 2009, 09:29:34 PM
And the city was still destroyed ;)

He didn't find ten innocent people.
C l a v i n 1 2

VSMIT

I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

sabrebattletank

AHadley

Political correctness is a load of bullhoot. Man is the correct name for our species. Look at others, for example. Lions. The male is a Lion, the female a Lioness. But ours is woman instead of maness.

technoid

"And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." - Genesis 2:23 KJV

In other words... "Wo dude! Out of Man, comes WoMan." 

See dictionary for further womanothology.

Nielk1

Enough discussing my distorted world views (or going off on tangents from them).

Applied for ANY position at Kohl's.

Click on the image...

Rocket

Now i know why i backup every once in awhile...

but to have the computer die just before you back it up!... I hope the best for you and your comp, i sure hope you get all your data back, sure is sad when this happens...
Hidden Defenders Mod

Nielk1

I backed up, just... not the right stuff...

Click on the image...

Angstromicus

Aww man, that sucks! I've had that happen to be before... twice!

The time my laptop hard drive failed, I was able to freeze the hard drive and recover back most of the data. There must have been a head crash, as some of the files could not be recovered.

I can't wait for Blu-Ray disks to get cheaper (especially the dual layer ones). Hard drives now are so big (not to mention an array of them) that you'd need hundreds of dvd's to make backups. Not a fun thing to do (and even less fun working out a system to sort the dvd's and retrieve the data you want). Not to mention, DVD's eventually, so backing up to another medium would be a necessity as well.

GSH

According to http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100071+1087444985&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=71&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc= , dual-layer (50GB) bluray discs are about $15. Each.

For me, "RAID" is the way to go. An 'internal' 1TB drive (i.e. 20x larger than a bluray disc) is $80, which is only 5.3x the cost. Get an external drive caddy that connects to a USB/eSATA port on your computer, and you can drop in as many of those 'internal' HDs as you like. Store those HDs in a safe place, not connected to your computer, and you've got a much cheaper backup situation. Yes, your eggs are in a larger basket, but a drive that's powered on once or twice a month for backups is likely to last a long time.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

I totally agree on GSH's faith in RAID systems. When i set my studio up thats exactly the kind of thing im going for. If i remember rightly, i found a nice LACIE drive caddy for about £300, including two 1.5TB drives, cant go wrong really...

Lock the drives in a safe somewhere, one at home, one in a bank safebox or something. Jobs a good 'un.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

VSMIT

I'm currently using a SYBA enclosure, quite nice.  Two fans to keep it cooled.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801047, but black and with an eSATA interface in addition to USB 2.0.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.