• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

HDD Death

Started by Nielk1, October 02, 2009, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

External came today. It is hooked to the Network External's USB so its tripply slow to access but it was the safest method. Many DVDs are burning.

Now the family member who had the credit card to pay for this is leering at me.

Click on the image...

VSMIT

Quote from: Raven on October 21, 2009, 02:45:21 PM
FAT32 is terrible isn't it? Isn't that the one where files cant be over like, 2gb? Everything I have is either NTFS or "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", which I know nothing about but it seems to do fine. Hard drives aren't my forté :)
Just remember that anything in a HFS+ partition can't be read by Windows.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Raven

Yup I know it can't. Shared partition is in NTFS. :) I didn't know that the 1st time though. That was fun!

shane ward

Might be a little bit late but I'll try anyway.

Check the board on the hard drive, dust and anything that should not be on it.

remove the board and clean the connectors. Sometimes heat expansion can move something.

Check all the chips and components to make sure something is not loose. solder it back. Also check for Black or damaged components. "Takes a long time"

Use an external hard drive connector, USB with independent power supply. Connect to PC by USB.

If by some pot luck it works, copy Everything ASAP.

I nearly lost my 750GB hard drive, until I relized all the dust went on the bord and messed it up, works fine now.
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

Nielk1

Already recovered and now in debt. It was physical damage. Real head-crash. Confirmed. About 99.9% data recovery, as I found a few rouge flac files I could not use.

Click on the image...

Raven

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 28, 2009, 05:41:06 PM
... I found a few rouge flac files I could not use.

DEMAND A REFUND!

:lol:

Nielk1

Click on the image...

technoid

Did you ask the recovery service what exactly happened?   Was it maybe a bad disk track, IC, discrete component, servo, overvoltage, overcurrent, yadda yadda (well, not the yadda part)?

We had a color copier die here at the office (it runs, but outputs were smeared), and they said it was the motherboard, probably due to long fluctuations in supply voltage (but they weren't really sure).   

Nielk1

The read head started smashing the disks and center spinal. IE SCREWED.

Click on the image...

AHadley

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 29, 2009, 02:18:36 PM

Nasty.

technoid

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 29, 2009, 02:18:36 PM

Looks like the flyheight airbearing actuator gave out and crash-landed onto the "airstrip".  Hope it was all worth it rescuing the survivor$.

Raven