• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

FINALLY! Discovered the cause of stuttering in pb4a

Started by TheJamsh, February 04, 2009, 11:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

Its that FPS counter!

some users around here such as myself and feared_1 occasionally experience a slight amount of in game stutter. The stutter is only minute and difficult to see if you arnt looking hard enough, but the ground can quickly 'jump' a small amount, noticeable when you move forward with speed.

disabling the framerate counter stops this, it seems everytime the counter refreshes it refreshes the screen too, very annoying to be honest. at first i though it was AIP logging, but its the FPS counter causing the issue.

Just thought you should know!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

* Nielk1 thought that was fixed.
I really don't see how it can be the issue, and IIRC nor can GSH. Well, just turn it off then, that's one of reasons why you can.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

well turning it off stopped it. the stutter is only minimal, but annoying all the same, makes a 70 FPS game look like 30 fps

GSH

I'm not sure on the causes of that bug. But, testers have said (and if I'm wrong, respond in the private boards) that this seems better in latest private builds.

-- GSH

mrtwosheds

Commando

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who experienced the stutter bug when the FPS counter was up.  I think I stumbled upon the fix by accident, but it definitely helps.

Dataanti

i havnt on my laptop but on my old desk top its HUGE MAJOR noticeableness

bigbadbogie

The game looks the same to me regardless of the counter being on or off.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Commando

Believe me, some of us can notice a blatant difference.  With my comp, its as if it pauses every 1/10th of a second for 1/20th of a second when the fps counter is on.

squirrelof09

Yeah it is annoying AND noticeable , hope it gets fixed
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Feared_1

For me it usually makes a big stutter right when the shot that I fired hits something. That's why fighting is so nasty when that happens, because when I hit an enemy ship I lose track of them.

Turning off the FPS counter didn't work for me, it was turning off AIP logging that worked.

TheJamsh

i was pretty sure that AIP logging was off by default, but i might be wrong.

Commando

The AIP debugger and the fps counter seem to be related.  If you turn off the fps counter, the aip debugger seems to turn off aswell.  I'm talking about the ingame aip debugger and not the one that writes the info to a text file.  The ingame aip debugger only functions when the fps counter is up.

Arbystrider

Why do people need the AIP Debugger? It's like cheating, since you know what the AI is doing without a Satellite view.
Quote from: GreenHeart on October 06, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
Beware of internet explorer it is horribly evil.
Yes it is. Stay away. Somebody should warn Microfeck. And call 911.

Commando

Its for AIP makers.  To see where their AIPs are messing up.