• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Multiworld Frequency

Started by Ace1, July 28, 2004, 09:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace1

Some players say that multiworld freguency (MWF ) 3 is good and some say 4 is good. But i'm unable to find any official information on this subject. Could someone explain what it does and which frequency is good.

Aegeis

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Shouldn't someone of made this kind of topic a sticky by now?

BZZERKER

There are more than a few topics around here. This question gets asked quite often and there is still some heated debate about it by some. Here are a few of the prior topics covering MWF. If you require more info, do a search for "mwf" or "multiworld" and take your pick.

http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1907

http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445

http://www.bzuniverse.com/~bz2cp/forum/forum.php?t=topic&fn=7&tn=303

Maybe someone should lock this before it gets ugly

DarkFox

Either read this topic: http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445, or simply check the following, simplified, guide:

First up, it's called multiworld frequency, but it's actually multiworld PERIOD. Think of your MWF like you think of your graphics resolution. It will only effect the network performance of other players if you are straining your own CPU with your setting. Secondly, note that the lower your MWF is set, the easier it will be to hit enemy ships ingame.
The lower your MWF is set, the better you will do in dogfights. However, to be considerate it's best to set your MWF to something your computer can handle. I suggest starting on 4, seeing how the game goes, and if it goes without much lag (no other players are moaning about lag), then try setting it a bit lower.
Finally, note that your framerate is a *very* poor representation of how much you're taxing your CPU in battlezone2. The clearest sign of an overstrained CPU will be that all the games you join have people complaining about lag.

As a VERY rough guide of what to set your MWF to, *IN MY OPINION*, check the following chart:
Processor        MWF
<400mhz___________10
400-500MHz_________9
500-600MHz_________8
600-700MHz_________7
700-800MHz_________6
800-900MHz_________5
900-1100MHz________4
1100-1300MHz_______3
1300-1800MHz_______2
>1800MHz___________1

Aegeis

*PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THAT MWF CHART DARKFOX WROTE IS his OPINION!!!!!!!*

PhoeniX-FlamE

well, i think vid card is used as well, dont know - might be that my vid card made my CPU work better?

well, anyways

QuoteThink of your MWF like you think of your graphics resolution. It will only effect the network performance of other players if you are straining your own CPU with your setting. Secondly, note that the lower your MWF is set, the easier it will be to hit enemy ships ingame.
The lower your MWF is set, the better you will do in dogfights.

god, bz2 becamse so much warpy comared to 3 years when ppl didnt know what MWF is, say what u want - 3 / 4 years ago bz2 was WAY LESS WARPY EVEN WITH ALL THE 56K and other "slow" connections (ISDN, 256 DSL, etc')

NoK0mm3nt

BZ2 calculates all the graphics by the CPU, it DOES NOT use the GPU.

DarkFox

Not true Nok. While it certainly doesn't use some of the newer facilities of 3d cards nowadays, it does indeed rely heavily on the GPU for most of it's graphics processing.
This means that you're unlikely to get much of an FPS hit even if your processor is going mad trying to cope with stuff, hence the reason the game lags *way* before FPS become unbearable.

PhoeniX-FlamE

nowdays, mwf10 is just unplayable, all the people whom are on lower mwf hit you and takes my cpu quite awahile to notice it if im on lower MWF

e.g, laser fight - i was mwf 4 - the opponenet was mwf 2 - we both red , on my screen i killed him --> then im dead and as if my laser shot was abit 2 late and he hit me before i hit him
and i know for a fact it was cause he was lower MWF

its not only ur CPU or w/e, 3 / 4 years ago was *defently* less lag and warp

NoK0mm3nt

My mistake, not all.

GSH:

QuoteIn BZ2, the videocard is just putting textures on polys, not much else.

QuoteBZ2 *hammers* on the floating point unit of your CPU. For starters, it does all the transform & lighting ("T&L") on your CPU

Hence, although it goes use the GPU(my bad), its use of the CPU is far greater.

It is also worth a note on preformance, that if you have a AMD K6 processor, you should roughly HALF your MHz rating since the K6 line has a very poor FPU preformance.

Angstromicus

In 1.2 my fps was actually *higher*, using an intergrated gfx card, than it is now, when I use a 5200 G-Force FX graphics card.

Zanting

Why can't everyone just use 4 and play nice and fair?
Not warp like a fool.  :P
-Zanting

Red Devil

Let's put this in a context we can all understand:

So there's a bartender filling up pitchers of beer and handing them out to waiters, and washing pitchers.  The waiters have to go and filll up everybody's glasses and bring back the pitchers.  Some tables have glasses with small openings on their glasses and others have big openings, so it takes some waiters longer to fill up the glasses at that table and so the bartender and everybody else has to wait for that waiter.

And if the bartender takes his time filling up the pitchers, then that slows everybody else down, but the waiter with the tables with small openings on their glasses thinks everything is fine.

And if there's a waiter who takes his time going back and forth between the tables, then that slows everybody down too.

And if the customers don't all drink at the same rate, that slows down things too.

Solution: Have a fast bartender, all the waiters walk fast, everybody use the same size glasses, and everybody drink at the same rate.
What box???

Zanting

Makes alot of sense:

Everybody use mwf of 4.
Host has a good fast modem like broadband.
Turn your messengers off.
Don't alt-tab.
Reboot bz2 after each game.

Then everyone can play nice and have alot more fun.
:beerchug:
-Zanting