• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Quick question about 3d cockpit alinement?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, August 13, 2009, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

That's what I was thinking too. I remember a while back when I textured quite a few models with the same camo texture, only when I exported the model to the addon folder a new name was added effectively copying the same texture dozens of times with different names like procmap1, procmap2, etc. It was horrible and jacked the addon file size astronomically.

I understand the process of breaking the UV map into sections for painting onto them later in a paint program, but the painted sections never really seem to apply correctly back onto the model afterwords. Talk about utter frustration when one realizes that all the time it took to do all of this was more or less a waste of time. Hell, I could probably do a better custom texture by drawing out and coloring one on a piece of paper, scanning it and then converting it to a graphics format.

The multiple texture option makes the best sense to me due to my lack of texturing know how. It seems likes if your stuck with a basket of lemons then lemonade is much better then a pitcher of sour grapes.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

bb1

Utilizing pre-existing textures almost exclusively to make new ones for your model brings overall download size down, reduces load (because the textures are being loaded for other models like sabre, warrior, etc.), and guarantees everyone with a stock install can already view it without running into problems of texture loading and such.

I did that on my bz1 rocket tower, using the rocket tank skin and name so it would be ready for anyone who wished to use it and a smaller package to distribute.

mrtwosheds

Oh and of course, after you have UV mapped the model and made the texture, you will probably need to flip the texture vertically before converting it to dxtbz2 and importing into bz2, or it wont fit, for some reason .xsi likes them to be upsidedown.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Does BZII reference the 3d cocpit eyepoint thingy using the eyepoint on the actual unit eyepoint? I moved the eyepoint around several times and no matter where I move it on _cockpit.xsi the view in ship is always the same no matter what I do. Tanks, BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Rocket

the hp_eyepoint on your ship is used as to where you will "look out" of the model, and where the sniper light will be.

the eyepoint in the cockpit model just determines how you see your cockpit model.
Hidden Defenders Mod

BNG Da BZ Fool

It sounds like using multiple textures aren't really all that bad. If that's the case then I'll try to design a few custom textures and see if I can figure out how to break apart the UV thingy to get them to fit the way I want them. Placing a texture on an actual model is very simple with any 3d modeler. Placing it correctly though requires some more careful thought be applied to get it positioned right. I think that part of my problem all along was confounded when I tried to replicate posted methods, but got frustrated due to my lack of understanding them.

Like other modeling applications TS 7.6 can do the job easily, and I personally prefer using it to the other methods discussed. I like the fact that Lithunwrap can also generate an X model from other formats too. 

mrtwosheds

Quotef that's the case then I'll try to design a few custom textures and see if I can figure out how to break apart the UV thingy to get them to fit the way I want them.
That is the wrong way round, you will probably wind up with stretched and odd looking textures.
just layout your UV's to fill the mapping square, then design the texture to fit it.