• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

xsi importer/converter

Started by Josiah, October 18, 2009, 12:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfreak

It exports textured models PERFECTLY, its animation no one has bothered to help with AT ALL.

START TESTING PEOPLE.

Dianoga4

I was never able to get the textures to show up ever. I asked more than once how to do it because apparently someone was able to but I never got a response. If you know how, please tell me. I never bothered trying animations because I couldn't even get the textures to work.

TheJamsh

I got a textured model to export just fine. I still have the source files for that dice i made, so ill upload it soon. I personally have NO idea how i textured it...

EDIT: There ya go

http://www.mediafire.com/?yn7ktx1yytc

its nothing special, just a dice, but it proves that the exporter works

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Warfreak

Quote from: TheJamsh on October 31, 2009, 06:59:05 AM
I personally have NO idea how i textured it...

That's REALLY helpful.  :roll:

Seeing as I got no free time today to try it, probably won't get an answer from me.

TheJamsh

i included the .blend file, but i just followed a tutorial on the blender website about texturing. tear it apart...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Dianoga4

Thanks for the example, I'll have a look at it sometime. The thing is though, I've textured many things in Blender before with no problems but this exporter would never export the texture at all and it wouldn't show up in BZ2. Looks like the last version of the exporter was made for Blender 2.42 so it might not work in the newer versions of Blender anyways but I'll try it.

Dianoga4

Well so far I still haven't been able to get a texture to show up even using your example Jamsh. I downloaded the older version of Blender as well to make it wasn't just the version of Blender but still no go. I've got some time right now, I'll try a couple of more things.

Clavin12

Do you have a link for the exporter? Overminds that is...
C l a v i n 1 2

Dianoga4

This link should work....http://www.overminddl1.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=694.0;attach=392

Well I did a couple of more things with a little progress. First of all the exporter seems to work with the newest version of Blender (2.49) or at least it's doing the same thing in both the old and new versions. I'm using a simple cube as a test model. The only real progress so far is that whatever texture I seem to use to map onto the cube, some of the color seems to appear on the cube but the mapping does not show up. What I mean is, I have tried a couple of different textures, one has alot of yellow on the texture but most of the texture does have a design on it. When I use it on the cube, the cube just shows up as solid yellow so something is still not right. I'll keep trying.

Clavin12

Um... nothing happened. I cant access the exporter in blender. Congrats on the progress though and sorry for partially hijacking your thread.
C l a v i n 1 2

Dianoga4

Actually Josiah's thread was hijacked hehe, sorry for that.

Anyways, in order to use the exporter in the new version of Blender, you have to tell blender where the exporter is. Open up Blender with no project selected meaning a brand new default Blender window. The bar at the top of the Blender window where it says File, Add, Timeline, etc. can actually be dragged downwards to expose some settings. You'll see some buttons along the bottom of the window you just exposed. Click on the "File Paths" button. You'll see various file path selections for different things including Python Scripts. Now in the python scripts directory selection, navigate to where you plan on keeping your python scripts for Blender. What I did was just make a new folder in the Blender directory and called it Scripts but you can put them where ever you want. Now once you have the directory for your scripts selected, drag the bar back up so that it hides the settings window so that everything looks normal. This is the important part! Press Ctrl-U to save the user defaults or else you will have to do that all over again every time you want to use the script in Blender. Also before saving the defaults make sure that Blender is at it's default start up window. If you press the Ctrl-U and save your defaults while you have a project open, every time you open Blender, it will start at that project hehe.

Hope that helps.

Clavin12

hnx alot. this has probably solved alot of problems.

OK, so i can now use the exporter but it gives me an error message saying "python script error: check console". Encountered this before?
C l a v i n 1 2

Clavin12

Oh i see it won't export files without textures.
C l a v i n 1 2

Dianoga4

Well with the testing I've done tonight, I've been able to get rid of that error anyways. The error pops up if you don't have a material with a texture applied to the model. You have to add a material to the model,then go to the texture tab and add an image texture and load an image like whatever texture you're wanting to use for the model. That should at least get rid of that error. I've been trying out different things for over and hour now and still I can't get a texture to show up really. I always end up with a cube that is a solid color. The only thing remotely close is that the solid color is a color that is on the texture but that's about it. You can't see any of the texture, just the solid color. I've tried a bunch of different things and so far no go including using Blender 2.42 which the exporter was originally written for. At this point it doesn't seem to matter what version of Blender thought because the same thing is happening in the old and new versions. The thing is that we don't know if we are doing something wrong or if the exporter just isn't working. I have yet to see a picture of a textured model that came out of Blender with that exporter that works in the game. If you happen to come across anything let me know please, thanks. Thats enough testing for me for one night. :wink:

Warfreak

Make a quickie cube that is textured with a stock texture and post the .xsi.