• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.3 PB 5.1 Error on start up

Started by mikefarinha, October 19, 2009, 10:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikefarinha

Glad to see this game living on!

I just tried to get the new 1.3 Public Beta 5.1 patch working on my PC and can't get the game to launch.

I've done the following multiple times always with the same results.

• Installed BZ2 from the CD.
  • Reboot
  • Install PB 5.1 (Saying yes to 2005 & 2008 C++ Redistributable's and DX update.
  • Reboot
  • Run BZ2

The "Select Pilot Profile" screen appears but I appear to in the console with the following errors:
DX Error (0x8876086C) noted.
DX Error (0x8876086C) noted.

I can't click on anything as it will only let me type in the console where the only thing I know how to do is type 'quit' to exit the game.

I've tried updating my video card drivers both from ATI and from Windows Update... always with same error.
Here's my spec's

AMD Athlon 3800 x2 (2.0GHz)
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon 4650
Windows 7 Pro x64 (RTM)

Nielk1

Click on the image...

mikefarinha

Ah! That works! Thanks for the info... is that documented somewhere?

Nielk1

I'm not sure if it is. It is common to many games.

Also, I am still wondering about those in shell DX errors...

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

I've never seen one in-shell before...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

mikefarinha

After jumping out of the console, thanks neilk1, I was able to play the game just fine. Furthermore, when I go to play the game again I'm not dropped into the console and I don't get any errors. The game works perfectly, as it should!

Thanks for the help. :-D

mikefarinha

An update about this problem.

It seems to still occur at random. When I first launch the game I get the error. On subsequent launches of the game I may or may not get the error. I haven't been able to discern what it is that causes the error to occur or be subdued.

TheJamsh

Its wierd that the console pops up in the first place...

mikefarinha

Here's some other info. When the error doesn't occur the game starts off showing the intro video, when the error does occur I start off in the console with the DX Errors and then when I select my pilot and go to the main menu the BZ video is supposed to play in the middle of the screen plays a bit off center (upper left) and at a lower resolution while the spot where the video is supposed to play is a blank white space.

Regardless if I get the error or not the game seems to play fine... so maybe it has something to do with the video play back.

TheJamsh

Hmm, HUD errors have been reported before by others, but it was purely to do with their drivers and the fact that they didnt install items that came with PB5.1 (the DX9 and C++ Stuff). You definately sure you did that?

AHadley

There are gameprefs settings that will allow you to prevent the console even opening in the first place, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

mikefarinha

@TheJamsh

Yup, 100% positive I installed the DX9 and C++ stuff.

Red Devil

Two things:  (Okay, Three)

First:

If you are comfortable with editing text files, go to:

addon\config and open GamePrefs.ini.  It's a Read-Only file.

You'll see entries like this at the top:

BZoneLoadConsoleOpenTime = 1000

1. Use Ctrl-A to copy everything to the clipboard.
2. Open up LocalPrefs.ini and use Ctrl-V to paste what you copied from GamePrefs.ini.
3. Save

Now you can edit any of the entries.

LocalPrefs.ini has precedence over GamePrefs.ini.

LocalPrefs_bzone.ini has precedence over LocalPrefs.ini.

Second:

1. Open up render.cfg (in the install root).

2. Find:

AllowModeChanges = 0

Make sure that set to 0 (zero).

3. Save.

Try BZ2 again.

Third:

List the video card/adapter and monitor you are using.

What box???