• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Talking BZ2 Encyclopedia.

Started by General BlackDragon, October 20, 2009, 01:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordtac

Quote from: General BlackDragon on October 21, 2009, 08:33:24 AM
Yes thats easy. 2 ways, either a direct instant spawn, or a tripmine spawn. You make a flaremine that's payload name is what you want to spawn, or a tripmine that turns into a flaremine that's payload name is what u want it to spawn.

The flaremine could have a triggerdelay for however long u want it to be before it makes it. You could also add a kindof render to make it look like a build effect (plume of blue/white smoke? a revealing curtian? lol)

*imagines a sabre launching a mine that turns into a service bay* lol

This "kinda" solves my problem of what to do with my commander/constructor but how would I get a vehicle of ANY KIND to carry some 12 different kinds of mines???

maybe make the mine spawn into a building that's like a mini-constructor that builds any 1 building with no range (so it builds over itself) then recycles itself?
Creator of LTRV
Overall: 34%
Break Down

ISDF:
Units: 15% \ Tech Tree: 100%
Buildings:30% \ Weapons: 15%
Experimental: 10%

FURY:
Units: 0% \ Tech Tree: 0%
Buildings: 0% \ Weapons: 0%
Experimental: 0%

General BlackDragon

Oh, the mine would only spawn 1 type of thing. I don't think you can reproduce the constructor style menu or options with a single anything without using DLL.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Lordtac

how about a factory that builds a building over its original location then deletes itself.
Creator of LTRV
Break Down

ISDF:

FURY:

TheJamsh

Nope, only a bio-metal pool (or classLabel = "resource") can be replaced by another building.

Anyway theres no point having a factory that builds over itself when you can just upgrade it into the next building. The way you need to think is if stock might have a use for it, then it would be there.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Lordtac

well having a building that can turn into anything is frankly out of the question, it would give the player way to much of an advantage/disadvantage in terms of resources.

having a mine that can spawn into what you command it to spawn into would be great if it could be worked out.

otherwise I'll have to figure something else out.

EDIT:

More questions

1- Is it possible to have a walker with a rotating top (rotates at torso) AND rotating arms at the same time (just up and down rotation left and right isn't needed)

2- If above isn't possible (all at same time) Is it possible to just have the walker turn at the torso while walking shooting etc.

3- I found out there is no way to rip the mechs from any of the mechwarrior games to speed things along, whats the BEST way to learn how to model (I'll need to help my modelers)

4- How do you create neat effects when a gun fires or a ship moves (jet streams from aircrafts, smoke from guns, explosions etc)
Creator of LTRV
Break Down

ISDF:

FURY:

AHadley

1) Yes, it's possible, most walkers do this already.

4) ODFs.

TheJamsh

It'll take a lot of TIME to master effects and get them right. My biggest point to make is this: be SUBTLE. You will also need to learn how to make effects textures (because the stock ones are hoote) to make things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTh29z0yETk (some oldish serenesis effects)
Waterfall for a new map im making (check oot the ripples :P)

BBB, you still got the link i sent you to the video of this?

BZ2's particle system is AWESOMELY flexible.

General BlackDragon

ODF Renders are fairly easy. You just have to study and mess with existing render code found in weapons and learn how.

TheJamsh

They are easy when you know what you are doing. The difficulty is getting them to look perfect. So far every effect in BZ2 that i see looks so hollow, and you can instantly tell the individual effects that make it up. I kept things really simple for the EP, because its meant to be stock-like, but damn most FX still look pretty shocking.

Steeveeo made some good'uns, but they were framerate destroyers. BZ2 seems to prefer lots of small renders, rather than a few very large ones. At least thats what ive found anyway.

Anyway... point i was making is that making effects is easy, making them look life-like and look good is the harder/time-consuming bit.

Lordtac

So you can have the arms rotate independently of the torso on a walker such as the sasquatch
Creator of LTRV
Break Down

ISDF:

FURY:

Nielk1

Sadly there is no way. Walkers use a single point as both X and Y.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

Okay, I have one for myself.

A while back i made a flamethrower that stuck to the target and essentially light the hit object on fire for a few seconds.

I'm trying to remake something just like that, but I can't seem to get the fire render to stay after the anchor sticks.

Does anyone have a working version of this? Either one I have to them (GH? N1?) Or one they made on their own?

Nielk1

I saw one in a mod I am beta testing. And TJ likely knows.

Isn't there a flag to re-enable the stuck anchor effects, but such a flag has a weird name as it is called something in relation to the cause of the bug and not the result.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

Quote from: General BlackDragon on October 25, 2009, 12:37:15 PM
Okay, I have one for myself.

A while back i made a flamethrower that stuck to the target and essentially light the hit object on fire for a few seconds.

I'm trying to remake something just like that, but I can't seem to get the fire render to stay after the anchor sticks.

Does anyone have a working version of this? Either one I have to them (GH? N1?) Or one they made on their own?

Whoops, see what happens when you forget new flags?

[OrdnanceClass]
RestoreFxSavegame = true
RestoreFxLockstep = true // <---- Had to be true not false.
RestoreFxVisual = true

TheJamsh

Thats the one :) I used it to create a 'sticky rocket' that explodes after a short period of time.

Only issue is... only works on leaderrounds and anchorrockets... which sucks a bit, but bleh.