• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Talking BZ2 Encyclopedia.

Started by General BlackDragon, October 20, 2009, 01:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordtac

Few more questions concerning walkers and other things.

1- if there is no way to have independent movement from torso to arms then is there a way to at least fake it? through effects make it look like the torso isn't moving? or perhaps will it bother anyone if the torso does rotate?

2- only 5 guns can be mounted on any vehicle whether their grouped or not. has GSH so much as budged on the idea of allowing open/limited weapon grouping (no more then 4 weapons per group for a grand total of 20 weapons)

Believe it or not most of my mechs and juggernauts would require open weapon grouping, we have plenty of work arounds but open weapon grouping would allow smooth coding and operation of said vehicles.

3- Is GSH the only person who modifies the BZ2 DLL code/source code/ Whatever you call it?

4- Is there ever going to be a BZ3? (I've never asked before)

5- how many units on the map at once in a MPI and/or a TStrat will cause lag or server crash. My mod seems to be pushing the limit pretty high.
Creator of LTRV
Overall: 34%
Break Down

ISDF:
Units: 15% \ Tech Tree: 100%
Buildings:30% \ Weapons: 15%
Experimental: 10%

FURY:
Units: 0% \ Tech Tree: 0%
Buildings: 0% \ Weapons: 0%
Experimental: 0%

VSMIT

Quote from: Lordtac on October 27, 2009, 10:07:21 PM
Few more questions concerning walkers and other things.

1- if there is no way to have independent movement from torso to arms then is there a way to at least fake it? through effects make it look like the torso isn't moving? or perhaps will it bother anyone if the torso does rotate?
Don't know anymore.  I thought there was, but people have been saying no.

Quote2- only 5 guns can be mounted on any vehicle whether their grouped or not. has GSH so much as budged on the idea of allowing open/limited weapon grouping (no more then 4 weapons per group for a grand total of 20 weapons)
You cannot have more than 5 weapons hardpoints.  Period.  Therefore, you can have no more than five weapons (this includes shields and special).

Quote3- Is GSH the only person who modifies the BZ2 DLL code/source code/ Whatever you call it?
GSH and Ultraken are the only ones that have the sourcecode for BZ2.  The DLLs can be created or edited by users for mods.

Quote4- Is there ever going to be a BZ3? (I've never asked before)
No.

Quote5- how many units on the map at once in a MPI and/or a TStrat will cause lag or server crash. My mod seems to be pushing the limit pretty high.
Depends on three things: 1. The performance capabilities of the host computer.  2. The connection speed of the host computer.  3. The connection speed of the client computers.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

You can rotate ONLY one thing at a time on ANY vehicle. It can be whatever part you want (well, within reason), but the model would have to be cleverly put together thats all.

However, if turret_x is NOT a child of the turret_y object, then you wont get ANY side-ways rotation for your arms, so it will just look wierd.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Lordtac

Quote from: TheJamsh on October 28, 2009, 05:29:00 AM
You can rotate ONLY one thing at a time on ANY vehicle. It can be whatever part you want (well, within reason), but the model would have to be cleverly put together thats all.

However, if turret_x is NOT a child of the turret_y object, then you wont get ANY side-ways rotation for your arms, so it will just look wierd.

I just want up/down rotation on the arms and left/right rotation on the torso.

nielk has already stated that this is impossible because walkers don't use the same rotation as tank turrets. walkers appear to have a specific "Pivot" point on the body that it rotates from.
Creator of LTRV
Overall: 34%
Break Down

ISDF:
Units: 15% \ Tech Tree: 100%
Buildings:30% \ Weapons: 15%
Experimental: 10%

FURY:
Units: 0% \ Tech Tree: 0%
Buildings: 0% \ Weapons: 0%
Experimental: 0%

TheJamsh

I dont have much experience with walkers but N1 does.

General BlackDragon

Quote from: Lordtac on October 27, 2009, 10:07:21 PM
2- only 5 guns can be mounted on any vehicle whether their grouped or not. has GSH so much as budged on the idea of allowing open/limited weapon grouping (no more then 4 weapons per group for a grand total of 20 weapons)

Yeah, you can only have 5 hardpoints in 4 groups. If you try to use a 5th weapon group as a "special" using the special weapon fire key to activate it, it works in single player but in multiplayer it destroys the ability to chat in game.

One rude hack way around this is to get 10 different weapons is to use a morphtank and just make the morphed versions of the 5 weapons into different weapons.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Clavin12

Would it be possible to have a vehicle that hovers but can deploy into a tracked vehicle?
C l a v i n 1 2

VSMIT

Quote from: Clavin12 on October 28, 2009, 10:53:42 AM
Would it be possible to have a vehicle that hovers but can deploy into a tracked vehicle?
No, but you can fake it with a morphtank.  But the "treaded" vehicle won't have a turret like an assault tank.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

Or with .dll, have a morphtank that morphs, then the .dll replaces it instantly with a tracked vehicle with exactly the same model as the deployed morph tank.

Would look seamless if done properly.

AHadley

And may cause problems if the player is driving, as anybody who's deleted themselves in the editor can imagine :lol:

Nielk1

Can't you chain morphed states of weapons together? A unit with a custom weapon, or a race, (to prevent them from using stock weapons) could have near instant morphing with both modes being the same in every way and have a weapon that goes from A in Combat to B in Assault to C in Combat to D in Assault to A in combat. Thus, C key weapon cycling. (Theoretically possible but not proven.)

Click on the image...

AHadley

That is most definately worth a try! Hmm... working like that you could cycle every weapon in the game :lol:

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****