• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hey, would you look at that. It's story time! PT. 3 POSTED!

Started by VSMIT, October 20, 2009, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Quote from: sabrebattletank on October 21, 2009, 05:08:37 PM
Not sure if this is in order or not, but what if the playable parts of the story took the form of a Greek Tragedy? You know, the player is the tragic hero, catharsis, and other such-ish things.

If it's not in order at this time, the I withdraw this idea from consideration.

I can see a much different story in the future knowing the elements the community agreed on.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

Tempest Storm

Everything seems pretty solid so far, the only thing that really rubs me the wrong way is the naming of the new Scion flagship as the "Ark III".

The Ark II was an interstellar colony ship made up mostly of Scion refugees from the Core incident. As far as I'm aware it was never a fully equipped combat/research vessel. I think it may also be fair to assume that the Ark II gets it's name from Noah's Ark as it's purpose was mostly to bring the survivors of the dead Core planet to colonize new land after their planet was destroyed. While following a culture close to the Cthonians, the Scions were still originally Human and I would not be surprised for them to carry on similar folklore to have them devise the name for their colony ship in such a manner. In such a case I think the name of the Scion flagship should probably be something other than the successor to their colony vessel.

As far as the name for the new Cthonian faction would go. I had not read the thread in it's entirety since it got kinda messy after a while, so I apologize if it has already been suggested but how about the Aeneads?

In Greco-Roman mythology, the Aeneads were the companions of Aeneas, who fled from Troy after the Trojan war to eventually settle in Italy and become the progenitors of the Romans. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeneid for more information of the story about Aeneas' travels) It doesn't quite fit entirely but if you are looking for a mythological reference, it is quite close to the mark as far as people who left their nation that was torn by war to start a new civilization bound for greatness.

Otherwise everything seems to be coming together nice, looking forward to seeing more. :)

VSMIT

Quote from: Tempest Storm on October 22, 2009, 08:43:59 PM
Everything seems pretty solid so far, the only thing that really rubs me the wrong way is the naming of the new Scion flagship as the "Ark III".

The Ark II was an interstellar colony ship made up mostly of Scion refugees from the Core incident. As far as I'm aware it was never a fully equipped combat/research vessel. I think it may also be fair to assume that the Ark II gets it's name from Noah's Ark as it's purpose was mostly to bring the survivors of the dead Core planet to colonize new land after their planet was destroyed. While following a culture close to the Cthonians, the Scions were still originally Human and I would not be surprised for them to carry on similar folklore to have them devise the name for their colony ship in such a manner. In such a case I think the name of the Scion flagship should probably be something other than the successor to their colony vessel.
Very good point.  We should rename it to something new.

QuoteAs far as the name for the new Cthonian faction would go. I had not read the thread in it's entirety since it got kinda messy after a while, so I apologize if it has already been suggested but how about the Aeneads?

In Greco-Roman mythology, the Aeneads were the companions of Aeneas, who fled from Troy after the Trojan war to eventually settle in Italy and become the progenitors of the Romans. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeneid for more information of the story about Aeneas' travels) It doesn't quite fit entirely but if you are looking for a mythological reference, it is quite close to the mark as far as people who left their nation that was torn by war to start a new civilization bound for greatness.
That's the best suggestion so far.  Very nice.

QuoteOtherwise everything seems to be coming together nice, looking forward to seeing more. :)
Cool.  There will be more, don't worry.  :wink:
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

Some possible ship names:

Defiance
Liberty
Penetrator (hmm...)
Instigator
Pegasus (BSG anyone?)
Otana
Imperator
Interceptor

These and more ive used in serenesis, but i dont really mind if the CP uses one. These are all warships or heavy freighters. In fact the Otana and Defiance are the ones you are stationed on through the game.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

Couldn't really use Interceptor as it's already taken in the BZ universe, but Defiance and Liberty sound pretty good to me.

TheJamsh

More...

Trenchant
Turbulence
Valiant
Sceptre
Oberon

Clavin12

The Titania
The Escapade
The Exodus
The Omnipota
The Omnipotus
The Omnibus
The Enterprise :-P
The Excelsior
The Celestia
The Gargantuan
C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

Oedipus
Tiresius
Antigone

These could be character names or ship names.

What about Tiresians as the species name?

iron maiden

So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

TheJamsh

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

sabrebattletank

I agree, if having a deity referenced for a name isn't important, then we should go with Aeneads.

Clavin12

The Aenead was a Greek poem and there was only one. I think it would be silly to name them the Aeneads.
C l a v i n 1 2