• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hey, would you look at that. It's story time! PT. 3 POSTED!

Started by VSMIT, October 20, 2009, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VSMIT

The name "Aeneads" is officially put forward as a choice for the name of the third faction.  Unless there is another good (read: meaningful) submission, this is the one that will be chosen.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

bigbadbogie

Excellent.

Please for the love of god... keep that one!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Clavin12

the Aeneads sounds like multiple ancient poems. and as a race we might as well call them romans because thats what the "Aeneads" turned out to be. Lets be a little more creative. How bout something that sounds greek but really has no meaning.
C l a v i n 1 2

Warfreak

Aeneas is a character introduced in the Illiad and made the protagonist of the Aeneid. (hell Aeneid is essentially a greek word and really has no meaning whatsoever.)

The thing you hate meets your specification. NEXT.  :-D

*Seriously, If you are gonna disagree give some suggestions or else you are just whining like a little kid.

Tempest Storm

Quote from: TheJamsh on October 24, 2009, 06:54:45 PM
or what it was built by... if tempest doesn't put the name forward soon i might...

Fine! Fine! I'll do it already! :P

I haven't put too much thought on ship names yet but I happened to really like one of the first few I had brainstormed up:

The Pride of Argos

If my memory serves me correctly, Argos was a large port/port city. I think that after the events of FE the Scion's would probably have much more interest in creating larger capital ships to further the defensive capabilities of the Scion Collective as a whole. The Scions seemed pretty unprepared for what happened during FE; with the possibility of new hostile alien encounters and an eventual return of the Cerberi I think it is safe to assume that creating a large spaceport/orbital construction yard to create an actual fleet for the defense of the Scion culture would be on their to-do list. Going with a Greek mythological theme, Argos would be a pretty good example of what the Scions would name their first major fleet construction facility. (Considering that the largest space-faring Scion vessel we have seen is the Ark II, I have little doubt that Argos would be the first of such facilities to exist)

I've been a bit hesitant to suggest this however since "The Pride of Argos" would require additional back story and fluff to make the name meaningful, although if people think it fits well then it may well be worth considering writing it in. I really want to sit down and think hard of other names though, I'm sure there is something out there that can have strong meaning for it's purpose as well as fitting the context. :)

sabrebattletank

Sounds good to me in my current state of mind.

I'll probably edit this post tomorrow morning.

Nielk1

I suddenly want to model a massive Scion ship yard station.

Click on the image...

Mr X

I thought that Argos was a man that built the ship for Jason and the Argonauts, they named it the Argo in his honour I believe.

Anyway, with this in mind maybe we should just call the Argo II or something, because as a name it ties in with tough warriors exploring new territory and having to fight whatever wierd stuff you find there and it is linked to ancient Greece too.

Quote from: Clavin12 on October 24, 2009, 07:33:33 PM
It travels time after all so how bout after the keeper of time

No good, it doesn't travel time when it is first built.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

AHadley

I think that Anaeads and the Pride of Argos are pretty much perfect suggestions.

Anybody think a mission on the Argos station might be a good idea, somewhere near the beginning...?

Clavin12

Change the word Aenead a little bit and you have Aeneid, the title of the poem. Their pronounced essentially the same. The Argo was built by Argus.  We could name it the Argo II or something in that direction. Or, Its a warship right, so how about the Athena. Not particularly creative but it sounds good.
C l a v i n 1 2

Mr X

Quote from: Clavin12 on October 25, 2009, 07:29:50 AM
The Argo was built by Argus.
Quote from: AHadley on October 25, 2009, 03:30:14 AM
I think that Anaeads and the Pride of Argos are pretty much perfect suggestions.

How about the Pride of Argus?
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Clavin12

For the Third faction what would happen if we went back to the phoenix idea except we didn't use the long name of phosphornii, but something more simple. I think that the phoenix idea is really workable as in buildings and race design. They could be simply named "the Phoenix" and an individual would be called a "Phoenix" by the enemy or their name or rank by their friends.
C l a v i n 1 2

iron maiden

what about the Odysseus, in the Odyssey he had to fight his way through several fierce challenges before he could return home, i find it fitting.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

Tempest Storm

QuoteAnybody think a mission on the Argos station might be a good idea, somewhere near the beginning...?

A mission might be a bit much, I mean...what would we do at Argos station? :P Might make a good opening movie for when you enter the campaign for the first time. Like that feflyby.bik that has the few space battles on screen when you begin the campaign.

QuoteChange the word Aenead a little bit and you have Aeneid, the title of the poem. Their pronounced essentially the same. The Argo was built by Argus.  We could name it the Argo II or something in that direction. Or, Its a warship right, so how about the Athena. Not particularly creative but it sounds good.

The problem with changing the titles is that they lost the general meaning that they are founded on. The Aeneads was the 'official title' of Aneas' companions during the poem, breaking down the work only loses the effect it has from being derived from the name of an actual group of individuals.

The idea behind The Pride of Argos is also similar. Argos is really a multipurpose name as far as Greek mythos goes; aside from being a city-state, and as others have pointed out it serves as the name of a few different people, animals and objects. :P (Jeeze how unoriginal of them :P) But the title itself is what made the name special to me. Assuming that Argos was the first large orbital construction facility the Scion's would use to make a fleet, naming the Vanguard of their newly creating fleet The Pride of their new station puts a lot more feeling behind the ship itself IMO.

sabrebattletank

I also would support at this stage "Aneads" and "Pride of Argos." Very well-done.