• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Ok, lets give everything a name (voting on the third faction homeworld)

Started by Mr X, October 25, 2009, 11:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the third faction homeworld be called?

Aenea (or a corruption thereof)
Aetheria
Alyssia
asphodelia
Artemus

Mr X

In this thread, I intend to open the floor to suggestions for names for naming everything, you must provide  reasoning behind it (I will be the judge of whether this is good enough, someone has to or we'll have another fiasco), if it does it will be added to the list.

To keep everything as unconfusing as possible the following system will be used; the cycle for choosing names will take two weeks. One week for suggestions, one week of voting. While one name is being voted on suggestions will be taken for the next.

First up to be named, the scion built ship that carries the Scions and EDF, "The pride of Argos" seems to be the current favourite, but feel free to make suggestions nonetheless.

Current list of names:
-"The pride of Argos" - the scion flagship
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

I'll create a poll in this thread once we have enough suggestions. Provided, that is, that Mr X can't do it.

VSMIT

And while we're on the subject of naming a flagship after an epic...
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Mr X

Quote from: Clavin12 on October 25, 2009, 11:06:14 AM
I've and idea. Lets name the flagship the Iliad.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, you actually have to provide the reasoning behind your suggestion. (I don't want to have to read through a whole wikipedia article for every suggestion, and I doubt the people voting do either)

Quote from: AHadley on October 25, 2009, 11:08:51 AM
I'll create a poll in this thread once we have enough suggestions. Provided, that is, that Mr X can't do it.

Its fine, I can do it myself.
starting January 2010!

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

Mr X

starting January 2010!

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Clavin12

How about the Athena after the goddess of wisdom and war or the Helena simply because it sounds cool.
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

The 17 kings of Argos:
Inachus
Phoroneus
Argus
Triopas
Agenor
Iasus
Crotopus
Pelasgus (aka Gelanor)
Danaus
Lynceus
Abas
Proetus
Acrisius
Perseus
Megapénthês
Argeus
Anaxagoras.

An alternative version of the original 17 consecutive kings of Argōs includes Apis, Argios, Kriasos, and Phorbas between Argus and Triopas, explaining the apparent unrelation of Triopas to Argus.

After the original 17 kings of Argos, there were three kings ruling Argos at the same time:
one descended from Bias
one from Melampus, succeeded by his son Mantius, then Oickes, Amphiaraus,... Alcmaeon, and Amphilochus.
one from Anaxagoras.

All those of the original 17 would make great names for various ships constructed at the Argos shipyards. Anyone one of them could be the so called 'flag ship', most likely the first built of the most recent series.

Click on the image...

Mr X

Nielk, I don't know how to choose between them :P

so...

New rule, maximum one suggestion per post.

If you could kindly pick your favourite you'd be doing me a massive favour. But to be honest, none of them sound like brilliant ship names to me...
starting January 2010!

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Mr X on October 25, 2009, 02:10:40 PM
But to be honest, none of them sound like brilliant ship names to me...

Don't take any notice of the bad man N1!

They are all great suggestions and I reckon that they should ALL be used. 17 ship types in the build tree!!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

I would suggest they be some ship with some of the names, even if they are not flag ships, just because of their relation to the ship yards. However I am not particularly thrilled by any of them myself.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

Just to double check.... but I'd assume BZ2 has support for accented characters like those in Megapénthês.

Can someone confirm/deny this?

Nielk1

Quote from: sabrebattletank on October 25, 2009, 02:35:31 PM
Just to double check.... but I'd assume BZ2 has support for accented characters like those in Megapénthês.

Can someone confirm/deny this?

I assume it doesn't.

Simply replace them with the equivalent. For example, German s-sets (sharp s) are "ss" and letters with umlauts are indicated by "ae","oe",ue" when using an English keyboard. I assume we can do the same with other accents or non standard letters, or spell phonetically.

Click on the image...