• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Check this out!

Started by Dx, November 09, 2009, 08:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dx

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 10, 2009, 04:30:08 PM
If i was to get involved in such a thing though, i would re-design the assets from the ground-up.

Some players would kill for doing such things but a modder has to have some fun right. ;)

VSMIT

Quote from: Dx on November 10, 2009, 04:52:39 PM
Some players would kill for doing such things but a modder has to have some fun right. ;)
High poly BZ1 units?
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Dx

High poly doesn't matter as much to me as a good design and the technology being used on the races.
Like maybe the type of propulsion for a particulare race.

Quote from: Axeminister on November 10, 2009, 03:30:13 PM
Why redo Battlezone 1 in any engine?  No offense to Avatar but why o why would the community convert it to another game engine.
If this Unreal engine is so good please don't even consider wasting time putting some old worn out game onto it. Build Battlezone III for Christs sake!

I don't take any offense to that, and have said pretty much the same thing over and over.  I've started many discussions about 'the perfect BZ type game', hoping to spark interest and get a blueprint out that someone might take to heart.

BZC started as just my hobby making the BZ1 ships and buildings, and only when BZ2's engine continued to become more and more mod friendly did my interest in making a full blown BZ1 conversion to the BZ2 engine become solid.  It would be very different if I didn't have a ready-made compatible engine all ready to accept a few more models and some minor coding.

If I were to dive into the Unreal Engine to make a BZ type game it would be from the ground up, and I'd implement some ideas of my own along the way.  It'd be so freeing to NOT be locked into an existing gameplay model and be able to push the game to new heights.

-Av-

Axeminister

There is no knowledge that is not power.

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

ScarleTomato

So what we need is a bunch of people that are willing to spend a fair amount of time collaborating to make a game for the community, by the community?

How static are yall on making the CP in the BZ engine?

VSMIT

The point of calling it the 1.3 CP is that it's going to be made for 1.3...
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Dx

This is sounding like it went off topic, this thread is not about modding in Bz or Bz2 1.3 patch.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

I would happily get involved in this. I would love to make my mod in the unreal engine, but unless BZ2 goes over in the first place thats going to take even longer.

However, if someone wants to get started on a project like this count me in. For the record, i have little faith that the 1.3 CP will go anywhere anyway. All i can see is bickering about it atm.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Clavin12

Something will emerge. Vsmit will ensure that, with his final says.
C l a v i n 1 2

Quote from: Dx on November 12, 2009, 11:59:45 AM
This is sounding like it went off topic, this thread is not about modding in Bz or Bz2 1.3 patch.

Hmmm, I don't see the last few posts about modding in the BZ or BZ2 engine, but rather a discussion about how different it would be if you were to move to another engine such as Unreal.  I think many of us are only modding BZ2 because we know it, and it's very mod friendly. 

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 12, 2009, 04:26:45 PM
I would happily get involved in this. I would love to make my mod in the unreal engine, but unless BZ2 goes over in the first place thats going to take even longer.

However, if someone wants to get started on a project like this count me in.

I think what's needed first is a coder.  If someone could code up a framework for Unreal that supported the core requirements of a BZ type game there'd be sure to be modelers, effects people, texture artists and code tweakers that would flesh out the game.

Sounds simple, but creating such a framework is where the real work is...  I'd imagine something like the command reticule would be a real challenge...

-Av-