• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Spectator mode?

Started by Crash, October 31, 2009, 03:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

Hey people, is there a way in Battlezone 2 to separate the server client from the player client... I had some trouble when I was hosting a game from my other computer, and left it. Other players joined, we played strategy, player limit was 5, and the server machine's player got a recycler, and the new joiner had a hard time to reach his base site, he joined later to the game, and game put him on another player.
So the question is if there's a way to build a 'spectator' mode to Bz2.

AHadley

It was originally intended to be included in the PB5.1 Enhancement Pack. Unfortunately, it ran into development issues to was dropped. Whether it is included again now or not, I am not sure. I am on the team, but I'm not in on the latest beta because my PC won't run the subversion client.

I think that's right anyway. :lol:

TheJamsh

Its possible, but only with custom assets and a VERY clever bit of C++ programming. As AHadley said, we were thinking about getting this into the EP, but with the way BZ2's multiplayer works it wouldn;t have been easy to integrate into stock.

As a mod feature however, it would be a little simpler.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

There are several ways to do it in a non perfect way that are easier, but we all know how I am about such things. They must be PERFECT... :-o

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

Yes we know :P

My original idea was to have a 'spectator' vehicle in the vehicle list (one isdf or one scion) (which i made fairly easily). If this unit was used, then any commanders trying to 'spectate' (and essentially cheat), would be forced to give up command, and prevented from taking it. They would also change teams, to something like 14/15, AND be unable to chat with other players.

The spectator vehicle itself is totally invisible and un-detectable, uncollideable, users cant bailout, hopout etc. All possible with ODF flags from the 1.3 patch.

Of course the other issue is that arises is all of this has to be done via .dll, and then integrated into the stock .dll's. Integration wouldn't be difficult, but getting this system to work in multiworld would be... painful.

Warfreak

ACTUALLY:

You would just have to have an unlimited ammo PhantomVIR + RedField combo OR a cloakmorph that is ALWAYS on and for the .DLL to check for the specified vehicle and make it on its own team. (team 0)

IOW: BZstealth in MP.

Ofcourse Nielk has other ways.  :roll:

TheJamsh

This method is preferred though, less faffing around with weapons etc. (players could turn the phantom + redfield off remember).

Warfreak

forceMorph the cloakmorph method then. (dll can do it).

Nielk1

You can't just move a user to another team, it causes FIXME errors.

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

A player called No|<omm3nt once developed a spectator strat map, which for the most part enabled a ship called 'gods scout' that could was invisible/uncollidable and could use a modified blink (with no effects and explosions). It worked out quite well.

Of course there are problems to simply using a spectator ship. Some of them are:
- The spectator's radar would extend the minimap radar of the team that the spectator is on
- Chat -> One -- could be used to relay useful information about one player to the other player

Usually though, only trusted players were allowed to be spectators in tournaments. So it wasnt a big issue at the time.

I think that a spectator mode would work if the person selecting the spectator ship was automatically put onto a neutral team.

It would be best to build this feature into the stock 1.3 mode via DLL scripting and assets. This way they can be applied globally instead of being map-based.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

TheJamsh

The plan for us was to integrate it into the stock .dll's so that ALL of the stock maps would use it. Of course it means however that you WOULD NOT be able to play with stock players which was an issue, but i HARDLY think anyone will use stock assets once the addon pack is out anyway, so this compatibility with stock isnt much of an issue to me anymore.

One other issue your forgetting is that a commander can build up his base while in the spectator ship, and again would be cheating. Nielk1 and myself would like to develop a system where cheating is just NOT possible.

Red Devil

I've been planning on making a custom shell so a Spectator mode can be selected and the player is put in free eye.

ZA, I think I'm using that NoK ship in G66 DM now.  Never knew who made it.
What box???

Axeminister

I really like this idea. I sometimes want to record my games on fraps but am usually too busy to get the footage I want. Would be nice to be a spectator, either in a ship or not. Or be able to choose which one way I wanted to spectate.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

TheJamsh

http://www.mediafire.com/?lzemvytynyy

use that if your going to make a spectator mode. race name will need to be changed.

Scout

Quote from: Zero Angel on November 02, 2009, 01:34:22 AM
A player called No|<omm3nt once developed a spectator strat map, which for the most part enabled a ship called 'gods scout' that could was invisible/uncollidable and could use a modified blink (with no effects and explosions). It worked out quite well.

Of course there are problems to simply using a spectator ship. Some of them are:
- The spectator's radar would extend the minimap radar of the team that the spectator is on
- Chat -> One -- could be used to relay useful information about one player to the other player

Usually though, only trusted players were allowed to be spectators in tournaments. So it wasnt a big issue at the time.

I think that a spectator mode would work if the person selecting the spectator ship was automatically put onto a neutral team.

It would be best to build this feature into the stock 1.3 mode via DLL scripting and assets. This way they can be applied globally instead of being map-based.

Actual touraments this was actually used in? because afaik his latest version still messed up the AI units

He also made dynamic alliances, EI) you could team up with people in a FFA strat game so you could do 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2 or whatever combination.