• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone 2 & Ram Drive

Started by Killer AK, November 01, 2009, 12:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killer AK

Well I only have 2 Gig's of ram and tried to hooked bz2 to install on a ram drive to see what would happen,
However 2 gigs was not enough. I was curious if anyone else tried this?
For those who don't know a ram drive turns part of your ram into a hard drive in my computer. Thust making milliseconds into nanoseconds which i would think could make bz2 lightening fast.
Anyways has anyone tried this?
Secondly is there any way to see how fast bz2 is running aside from relying of the FPS(Frames Per Second)?

Nielk1

That would help your file reading and writing but not the actual processing done by BZ2.

BZ2 runs at 10 turns per second unless you specifically tell it to run faster (15, 20, or 30). Everything else is just interpolation.

If you are getting >10fps I would think you are getting full game speed.

You will note a hang in BZ2 sometimes, like if it spawns a recycler without preloading the tech tree, where a step takes much more than a 10th of a second, but aside from that BZ2 should always be running full speed.

Click on the image...

AHadley

When BZ2 was released technology was strikingly different, so it was able to use it differently. In some cases it may work better on older hardware with lower spec.

Zero Angel

A RAM drive would shave a second or so off of the startup time for BZ2 and make it so that levels loaded much quicker. It wouldnt otherwise improve the performance of the game though, since BZ2 doesnt do a lot of reads/writes to the hard drive when a game is started.

In fact, it might even be harmful to the performance of the game, if the RAM drive reduces the main system memory so much that the system needs to use virtual memory (where it uses the hard drive for RAM storage)
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression