• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

DISCUSSION of game Mechanics

Started by Nielk1, November 11, 2009, 09:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Ah mechanics, the most simple structure of anything.

The mechanic of the ISDF has them building with adjacency requirements, a linear power system, and treaded units that collect scrap or deploy on pools to make resource generators.

So, what mechanics can we come up with that *MIGHT* be of interest to the CP? Some examples are below, I plan to edit this list with some more as we go:

(As a C++ DLL programmer with weird ideas I should be able to reliably tell you how much of a chance of working in code an idea has.)

Salvage/Wreckage
A salvage or wreckage system where biometal craft give carcasses. Collection method can be anything from an automated tug to having to kill the wreckage to make it into scrap. The tug method would allow for instant gain of biometal or adding to a pile on some refinery that would then process over time (like an extractor), but only if it has wreckage on the pile.

Portals
We all know them we all love them, there are tons of different possible implementations. Feel free to mention any design.

Click on the image...

Shadow Knight

I like the idea of salvaging things, which would give tugs an actual use outside of the campaign other than FFS LET ME DOWNing the unwary human opponent.

It could also allow scenarios within the campaign such as "The Aeneads have developed personal teleportation technology, take out one of their teleport tanks and haul it's carcass back to the recycler"

Nielk1

I already envision the unit I made with some sort of "Fold" special that shot it forward very quickly with a long recharge time with cool teleport like effects.

Being Aeneads/Aeneans (I really like the N better) we might want to look into Roman references, but only to early Rome, not late. Pre-Rome even.

A mission like that can be done no matter if we use carcasses in default or not. I hope we do ALL our DLLs in C++ at this point :-P

EDIT:
Quote from: Shadow Knight on November 11, 2009, 10:06:48 PM
which would give tugs an actual use outside of the campaign other than FFS LET ME DOWNing the unwary human opponent.

I am pretty sure some control flags were added to tugs to control what they disable and they were defaults to let humans bail/hop.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

What about a bz1-style power system? Instead of the ISDF's "all power or no power" and the Scion's building-specific power, what about a power supply that supplied power to x units within y radius?

Nielk1

That can be done 100% ODF for gun towers. Extending it to other structures would require DLL to swap out the offline and online versions of the structures, but no real issue there (if we do the C++ for single-player too)

I had the idea to have Ley line Generators that produce more power if put close to a Ley line path on the map. That is more for the strange mythic thing I have in one of my modding folders with arcane circles and other weird magical looking stuff.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

What's the status of buildings and water? Could you have a water power plant somehow?

Zero Angel

Front Line Soldiers (a canceled mod) had a 'base adjacency extender' building called a command center, which could be built on the field and allowed base buildings to be built next to it -- allowing the EDF to start a 'forward base' by demoing their factory/armoury and building it next to the command centre. (the other functions of the command center as the 300m range motion detector, huge radar detection radius, as well as relay bunker functionality). I thought that this was an interesting mechanic, though one thing I wouldve liked to add was the ability to reset the player's respawn point to the command center's location.

A similar effect could be made simply by making the EDF recycler undeployable by default. And some missions (if the player is indeed playing as the EDF) could involve the player starting a forward base, achieving some objective, and then having to retreat the rec when the forward base is counterattacked.

Another mechanic that I think would be interesting would be a type of 'all-in one' base that utilizes powertaps and building upgrading to extend the functionality of a main building (for example, a large battleship (recycler class) can be upgraded with a communications module, defense Lv.1 module, factory module, weapons module, defenses Lv.2 module, etc)

I also like the idea of utilizing expressway tunnels, which could quickly transport units to different parts of the map. It's much more reliable than FE portals ever were, though I dont know if it would work well in multiworld.

Another mechanic that might be worth implementing is a 'global upgrade' type of functionality, which extends the capabilities of the entire army in some passive way. Such as a building that adds a slow armor and weapons regeneration to units within a certain radius (like 400m).
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Zero Angel on November 11, 2009, 11:29:40 PM
Such as a building that adds a slow armor and weapons regeneration to units within a certain radius (like 400m).

A service bay with 400 metre range.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Zero Angel

QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

AHadley

Ability for a player to select any friendly building to respawn at when killed.

bigbadbogie

Quote from: AHadley on November 12, 2009, 12:57:39 AM
Ability for a player to select any friendly building to respawn at when killed.

Battlefield 2/2142 style?
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

This may or may not interest the CP, Serenesis has an semi-infantry system, so (if toggled on at thee start of a game), if you die, the .dll interprets what race you are, and pulls up a UI which contains a list of soldiers you can respawn as for your race. (List filled by a TXT file per map). You can then progress and choose the weapons you want to respawn with as well, if that soldier tye can carry them.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Axeminister

The husks idea is a super. Tugs carry back to base until you build towers out in the field, then you could drop of husks at a structure that takes place of relay bunker requirement for towers.
  Can there be hovering service trucks, currently tracked ones bump and move one another out of range when stopping and starting.
How about solar power generators? Has that been done?
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Clavin12

What about a large deployable power generator which you either spawn with or can build from the recycler with your starting scrap. The Power plant could power everything you would need but you would have to build relay bunker type buildings which "transmit" the power fro the plant to the building. Either that or power lines. Any adjacent buildings would be powered without needing either of these.
C l a v i n 1 2

TheJamsh

Calvin your idea is VERY close to QFMod. Their power gens can be built anywhere, and thus build additional structures anywhere. (at least they could last time i checked)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.