• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

DISCUSSION of game Mechanics

Started by Nielk1, November 11, 2009, 09:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clavin12

Why can't we just make a normal power generator and make up a cool way that their supposed to work. All this stuff sounds complicated and frustrating.
C l a v i n 1 2

iron maiden

Besides rail guns, I am also thinking maybe using geothermal energy, you could use it no matter the weather and would come in handy when you have no pools, perhaps drill for bio-metal with them?
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

ScarleTomato

You can build a small factory on each pool, these factories continuously build scrap transports that dont take up a command slot and immediatley are commanded to recycle at the recycler.

The more pools, the more transports per unit time, the faster your scrap increases. You have to defend the pools along with defending the path from the pool to the recy. You build base silos for extra capacity. For big maps you can build a off-site scrap drop so the transports don't have very far to go.

Warfreak

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 12, 2009, 05:33:30 PM
Why can't we just make a normal power generator and make up a cool way that their supposed to work. All this stuff sounds complicated and frustrating.

Because we have a coder who WANTS to do crazy and awesome things. :evil:  If you can't deal with this whole concept pitching thing the door is right behind you.

iron maiden

The more pools, the more transports per unit time, the faster your scrap increases. You have to defend the pools along with defending the path from the pool to the recy. You build base silos for extra capacity. For big maps you can build a off-site scrap drop so the transports don't have very far to go.
\

Hat to sound pushy, but you could fire said scrap units out of a rail gun!

{I know, i am obsessed with rail guns}

ScarleTomato

Interesting, you could instead make them armories that launched scrap crates back at your recy. then a hoverscav collects them

iron maiden

AHadley

Quote from: Warfreak on November 12, 2009, 05:25:30 PM
Stock pgens technically utilize Reactions of biometal to generate power, but your take on this is good.

Going to have to start that theory thread I was planning.

Clavin12

Quote from: ScarleTomato on November 12, 2009, 06:48:42 PM
Interesting, you could instead make them armories that launched scrap crates back at your recy. then a hoverscav collects them

Um what would be the point of that?
C l a v i n 1 2

ScarleTomato

ATM I'm just brainstorming. I like the strategy required for the transports better but both of them help explain how the scrap actually makes it back to the recycler. It also gets rid of the question "Why does only one extractor fill up at a time?"

You could have extractors that spew out biometal near the extractor that looks like crates, and then a scav comes an collects them and takes them back to the recy. That might take a lot of micromanaging though.

Clavin12

It'd be too complicating. imagine when yourn the middle of a big fight and you need reinforcments. You go to make but, Your out of Scrap! so you have to send out some scavs to collect the biometal crates to bring in enough scrap for a couple ships then you have to wait for more crates. In the meantime your getting torn to pieces.
C l a v i n 1 2

Axeminister

1). I like Scarlet Tomatoes idea of when the solar panels are upgraded they get higher, giving more power. It also is a simple but cool concept that should make it easy to grasp.
2). Rethinking the collection of husks makes me realize how Zero Angel is correct that it would be a clumsy concept to use as resource gathering, but instead just use it as technology gathering. This would create less stress for a Commander.
3). I like Scarlet Tomatoes idea of a building built solely for shooting more and more health into the power generators. This action could be used for a quick recharge for players who drive through the traveling pods from this rail gun type pod shooter. It is actually another simple but cool idea that is easy to grasp.  
There is no knowledge that is not power.

ScarleTomato

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 13, 2009, 06:54:23 AM
It'd be too complicating. imagine when yourn the middle of a big fight and you need reinforcments. You go to make but, Your out of Scrap! so you have to send out some scavs to collect the biometal crates to bring in enough scrap for a couple ships then you have to wait for more crates. In the meantime your getting torn to pieces.
Well thats part of the commanders job ain't it? I always have scavvies gathering loose scrap, if i lose one i just build another. They're only twenty scrap. That and I usually keep my scrap meter out of the green. If I have nothing else to build I pump out rocket tanks. It would take some micro managing and if it were implemented it would definitely be a race for advanced commanders. Respawning loose scrap fields are gold for a commander that knows how to use them.

I really like the gathering crystals for power, and husks for technology ideas. It makes it very easy to drastically change the game dynamics from map to map.

I was thinking about making a neutral monolith structure for one of my maps that you could tug around and have it quickly heal things within a large radius. Extra map related resources like this would do alot to change the mechanics while still using simple concepts.

Clavin12

You may have all of this but the complications must be balanced out, or the races will be way out of balance.
C l a v i n 1 2

ScarleTomato

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 12, 2009, 05:33:30 PM
Quote from: Clavin12 on November 13, 2009, 06:17:46 AM
Um what would be the point of that?
Quote from: Clavin12 on November 13, 2009, 06:54:23 AM
Quote from: Clavin12 on November 13, 2009, 10:44:31 AM
You may have all of this but the complications must be balanced out, or the races will be way out of balance.

Yes, Clavin, I get it, thank you. From what I can tell this is a brainstorming session. He asked for new game mechanics so I'm throwing out some concepts i've been thinking about tinkering with for a while. If they're not accepted then no one has to use them.

On overall gametypes/game mechanics. I think it'd be awesome to have a variant of MPI where you can have multiple allies against multiple AI enemies. I know there was already a 3way in FE. Basically an offshoot of that with thug recyclers. I'd be willing to make some large maps for that and work on a DLL for it.