• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The Physics Nerds' Theory Thread

Started by AHadley, November 13, 2009, 12:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

Ask here for explanations of the Battlezone Universe, and the physics nerds (I believe NK1 and I, anybody else?) will try to answer your questions with real-world physics theory :-D

Let's start with power generators.

Converting biometal into energy is much easier than most metals due to its unusual nuclear structure. When it is vapourised and ionised into a plasma, its nucleus becomes unstable. It releases massive amounts of gamma radiation very quickly, decaying almost into nothing. The gamma radiation can be used to generate nuclear power.

TheJamsh

Personally, i have always considered power generators (ISDF ones), to use a much more stable power supply system. The rotary core, is actually an enormous electromagnet, all sealed within its large container. The ISDF use the electromagnet and the field it generates to produce electricity.

As for power lungs, i have always considered them to be some sort of solar powered object. They act like some kind of hi-tech solar panel/ray filter, which extracts energy from the sun and converts it into power. The lungs are full of some kind of transparent bio-metal gas which heats up and produces electrical sparks occasionally etc which are collected by the corresponding building.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Arbystrider

What about hover tanks? How do they work?
Quote from: GreenHeart on October 06, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
Beware of internet explorer it is horribly evil.
Yes it is. Stay away. Somebody should warn Microfeck. And call 911.

Shadow Knight

Quote from: AHadley on November 13, 2009, 12:47:16 AM
Ask here for explanations of the Battlezone Universe, and the physics nerds (I believe NK1 and I, anybody else?)
Me  :-D

Though probably not to the extent of you two (only done one and a half years of physics)

Clavin12

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 13, 2009, 03:30:11 AM
Personally, i have always considered power generators (ISDF ones), to use a much more stable power supply system. The rotary core, is actually an enormous electromagnet, all sealed within its large container. The ISDF use the electromagnet and the field it generates to produce electricity.

As for power lungs, i have always considered them to be some sort of solar powered object. They act like some kind of hi-tech solar panel/ray filter, which extracts energy from the sun and converts it into power. The lungs are full of some kind of transparent bio-metal gas which heats up and produces electrical sparks occasionally etc which are collected by the corresponding building.

I always thought that lungs drew their power from the atmosphere. Seeing as their called lungs, and I believe I read it somewhere in game.
C l a v i n 1 2

TheJamsh

never looked at it like that. good idea though

Russian Roulette

Quote from: Arbystrider on November 13, 2009, 03:39:10 AM
What about hover tanks? How do they work?

Well, in the early thirties a man named Thomas Townsend Brown(BB effect) discovered a new form of propulsion later known as "Electrogravitics" which is accomplished by using a high-voltage power source with high-k elements on the front and rear of the craft "manipulating" gravity to lift the an object, or tank in this instance, causing people to think this is "anti-gravity" which it is actually creating your own gravity around an object(that is how you can maneuver in the air or in space).

The tanks and other vehicles in battlezone use what is known as a "flame-jet generator" sometimes multiple.
The Flame-jet generator uses a rocket or jet engine as the base and the generator is at the end, when the engine is turned on the FJG is adding negative ions to the flow of the jet allowing for electrogravitics to take place propelling the craft in virtually any direction only depending on the direction of the positive and negative ions.

This was just a quickie here, although there is an abundance of information out there, so have fun discussing this one! :D

AHadley

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 13, 2009, 03:30:11 AM

I believe I read in some of the game's literature that they were plasma generators.

Also, the propulsion systems (blue flame) are plasma-based. Plasma is used for weaponary in the real world too.

Nielk1

Biometal itself seems to have a natural antigravimetric field of some sort. One theory would say it reflects gravitons. Early craft used this in combination with chemical thrusters to keep craft afloat. By the time of Battlezone II, this as been perfected to keep craft fully in the air and in some rare cases even allows for direct propulsion. It should be noted that from the beginning the Furies have had a better use of this technology then we have yet to achieve.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

where is all the literature im obviously missing?

General BlackDragon

Biometal also has natural E.D.D. (Equal Distribution of Damage) properties. This is why machine gun rounds don't rip through a scout as they would an F16 in real life.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Zero Angel

Quote from: Clavin12 on November 13, 2009, 06:21:47 AM
I always thought that lungs drew their power from the atmosphere. Seeing as their called lungs, and I believe I read it somewhere in game.

I think they may work in the same capacity of the ISDF generators, however instead power their reactions from the organic (breeding) processes of the biometal, which would likely require respiration, either drawing in oxygen on the inhale process, or disposing of gas-based wastes during during an exhale process.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Zero Angel

Quote from: General BlackDragon on November 13, 2009, 11:41:57 AM
Biometal also has natural E.D.D. (Equal Distribution of Damage) properties. This is why machine gun rounds don't rip through a scout as they would an F16 in real life.
I speculate that the thing that gives biometal its EDD properties, is the biological element of biometal's ability to retain information and recall the position of its neighboring biometal molecules. In this way, it will always retain the form it is given, however it tends to store energy which resonates throughout the surface of the biometal object (like the way a tuning fork resonates when struck) until enough resonance (in the form of damage) has been stored to shake apart the entire structure and cause the biometal object to vaporize.

Hence why there is often no solid ship remains left after a battle, instead the biometal returns to liquid form.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

iron maiden

Speaking of Plasma, where do ISDF gun-towers store their plasma? Also, why do you need a relay bunker to build one?
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

AHadley

Quote from: iron maiden on November 13, 2009, 02:08:43 PM
Speaking of Plasma, where do ISDF gun-towers store their plasma? Also, why do you need a relay bunker to build one?

Plasma is a state of mass, exactly like solids, liquids and gasses. When bioled, ionic substances (salts - like sodium cholride or potassium carbonate) form plasma rather than gas, which are amongst other things capable of transmitting electricity. Plasma is created within the Gun Tower's cannons - or rather just behind them. This means there is no need to store plasma anywhere.