• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Pandemic Studios to be closed? - see article

Started by Coxxon, November 17, 2009, 08:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coxxon

BZ2 developer/creator Pandemic Studios to be closed?

I got to thinking earlier this morning, " I wonder what Pandi studios is up to these days." I dropped by their site, and the only current project was the Saboteur. Sounded like a blah plat-former, and I got to thinking you don't here much about these guys anymore.
Then in random internet skimming I stumbled on the following.

http://kotaku.com/5406449/rumor-rip-pandemic-studios-1998+2009

Wow.

Of course it could be BS like a lot of things on the web.

AHadley

Coxxon? :O

I don't think pandi will be closing... at least, I hope not. I know they got bought out by EA and their Brisbane team earlier (losing three games in the process) and have cancelled another two projects, but I bloody hope they're not closing... :/

Maybe Ultraken or GSH can tell us.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

bigbadbogie

Oh f**k...

Doesn't that mean that GSH would lose his job??
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

AHadley

Centerline

The article I read this afternoon says they are laying off 200 Pandemic employees and moving the rest to LA.  The rest didn't sound like very many.  That said, they have several developers that work remotely and they weren't mentioned at all.

And, the guys that put Pandemic together are on the outs, which is standard fair after the dust settles.  You can't ever let the main management go during a takeover or your stock tumbles so they always wait six plus months before cleaning upper management if practical.

I'd love to see these guys start up a new studio and have a go at it again.

Centerline...

AHadley

Red Devil

Confirmed:

"An internal Electronic Arts memo confirms that Pandemic Studios was shut down today with a "core IP team" being moved to Electronic Arts' Los Angeles office. Among those let go were the studio's top three employees: Andrew Goldman, formerly the studio's CEO; Josh Resnick, formerly the studios president; and Greg Borrud, vice president of product development

"I want to make it clear that the Pandemic brand and franchises will live on," Nick Earl, EA Games Label Senior Vice President, wrote in the memo. "In the months ahead, we will announce plans for new games based on Pandemic franchises.

"This type of change can be difficult. But the situation calls for us to act decisively, to take control of our destiny and to run a stronger, more focused development operation. That's how we will continue to make great games in our LA studios."

More:

http://kotaku.com/5406830/confirmed-ea-closes-pandemic-studios-says-brand-will-live-on
What box???

AHadley

Ultraken

I'm friends with a lot of Pandemic people on Facebook, and Pandemic's closure is unfortunately all too true.    :-(

Nielk1

Ken already did not work with Pandemic anymore.

GSH warned in IRC this may be happening.

Click on the image...

GSH

It looks like the news of Pandemic's closure seems to be official: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26120/EA_Memo_Confirms_Pandemic_Consolidation_Van_Caneghem_Hire.php and http://kotaku.com/5406830/confirmed-ea-closes-pandemic-studios-says-brand-will-live-on . I'm just pinging people I know from Pandemic to see what their side of the story is.

Comments above are right in that Ken was cut from Pandemic October 30th 2008, and has been in Austin since this January, working at Armature Studios. I've been working on getting The Saboteur finished up. I've kept things quiet for now, but I feel that it's a good time as any to announce this: I'm not at Pandemic anymore. But, by choice. (Trust me, I wanted to get some severance.) I've accepted a job in Austin, starting in early December, and am in the process of moving my family and everything here. I've had that job offer in hand for weeks, and gave notice at Pandemic a week ago (Mov Nov 9th). Friday Nov 13th was my last day. I'm not going to say what company I'll be working for quite yet; I want to see what their policy on side projects (read: BZ2) is. I'll just say that it's listed on http://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool=location&query=Austin .

I know it'll be easy to blame EA for this closure. I'm going to say that some of the blame probably lies on both sides.

-- GSH

Red Devil

Sadly, the end of an era...but, it brings with it the anticipation a new one.
What box???

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.