• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Pandemic Studios to be closed? - see article

Started by Coxxon, November 17, 2009, 08:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Click on the image...

eddywright

The playfish acquisition mentioned in the gaming news clip is real. EA bought playfish for $300M. When I read what playfish does, I thought "What the ...!?!"  Is that the future of gaming? If it is, just shoot me now.

http://www.playfish.com/press_releases/?release=09_11_2009

Eddy

GSH

A month ago, Pandemic IT replaced a really broken printer on the 16th floor. Looks like some (ex-)coworkers found that dead printer and had fun with it:

http://kotaku.com/5410999/pandemic-studios-says-goodbye-geek-gangsta-style

Good riddance to the printer. Sorry I can't identify those coworkers. ;)

-- GSH

appel

Too bad Pandemic is gone. At least BZ2 still lives on.

GSH: You think the BZ2 source will leak out now? :) or maybe something like doxygen docs?  :-)

Firestorm29

Quote from: GSH on November 23, 2009, 05:55:52 PM
A month ago, Pandemic IT replaced a really broken printer on the 16th floor. Looks like some (ex-)coworkers found that dead printer and had fun with it:

http://kotaku.com/5410999/pandemic-studios-says-goodbye-geek-gangsta-style

Good riddance to the printer. Sorry I can't identify those coworkers. ;)

-- GSH
Looks like a LaserJet 4000 series, I agree with that good riddance. Those things had expensive toner cartridges and were a P.I.T.A. to move around. >:

AHadley

Quote from: appel on November 24, 2009, 01:53:42 AM
GSH: You think the BZ2 source will leak out now? :) or maybe something like doxygen docs?  :-)

Atari hold the copyright, IIRC.

appel

Quote from: AHadley on November 24, 2009, 09:19:22 AM
Atari hold the copyright, IIRC.

Seeing a list of classes and methods doesn't equal the source-code.

GSH

GSH: You think the BZ2 source will leak out now?  or maybe something like doxygen docs?

Given how much of a jerk you've been to me and the 1.3 cycle/community, that request from you is a bit ... presumptive.

-- GSH

AHadley

Quote from: appel on November 24, 2009, 12:26:54 PM
Seeing a list of classes and methods doesn't equal the source-code.

By which I meant you'd need to ask them.

Commando

LOL at the office space reference.  Great movie.

sabrebattletank

Yeah, my impression on leaking the source is that it'd be bad.

TheJamsh

Hahaha, i watched that video GSH... you guys must have had a right laugh on your time off (time off? what?). Yeh thats a laserjet. Had an abundance of those thingsi n our school. Forever running out of expensive toner cartridges and costing students money...

Blah... Pandemic was great. I guess now i have another reason to despise anything that falls out of EA's studio (i can honestly say i haven't enjoyed a single one of their games), even if it wasnt entirely their fault.

GSH and Ken are probably the only people WITH the source code besides old backups, and as far as im concerned, the only people who SHOULD have it. As soon as that leaks into the community, we are going to have all sorts of crappy buggy releases not-so-capable programmers have tried. I admit i ask for ridiculous things for the patch from the latest patches, but the way i see it only those two have the capability to decide what should and shouldn't go in.

I dont think i made the point i was trying to here... will try again when not so shattered...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

appel

Quote from: GSH on November 24, 2009, 08:18:19 PM
Given how much of a jerk you've been to me and the 1.3 cycle/community, that request from you is a bit ... presumptive.
:?

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 25, 2009, 03:54:47 PM
GSH and Ken are probably the only people WITH the source code besides old backups, and as far as im concerned, the only people who SHOULD have it. As soon as that leaks into the community, we are going to have all sorts of crappy buggy releases not-so-capable programmers have tried. I admit i ask for ridiculous things for the patch from the latest patches, but the way i see it only those two have the capability to decide what should and shouldn't go in.

I'm not interested in the source for the sake of patching it, improving (or not) it or using it for some purpose. It's a technical and educational curiosity, seeing how things are implemented, even if it's in vague docs. It's fun to see how things are done behind the scenes, in a game you've played and loved for years.

But I agree, there aren't many around here that could even properly use the source-code were it to be released, so, I recommend not to release it. But there is nothing wrong with describing how things are implemented, e.g. "We did this to do this, and that to...". It does not break copyright laws and prevents people from exploiting the source.

But in any case, this suggestion seems dead on arrival judging by GSH's comments.

Red Devil

I'm curious to see how/if it differs from the DLL code.
What box???

AHadley

I also agree that the source code should stay with the three programmers.