• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Planet Creation Thread

Started by Clavin12, November 19, 2009, 09:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 20, 2009, 01:21:04 PM
if your going to have glass diamonds, do it somewhere hot and surrounded by sand.

Glass crystals... glass is made from silicon dioxide and diamonds are pure carbon :P

Glass is an amorphous solid. There's nothing wrong with having it somewhere that is at, say, about 1`K. I think it would look rather cool too.

iron maiden

Two things:

A: Glass is actually a liquid with a very high viscosity, perhaps we could have it so that the moon as an opening in the crust where the weak but still active molten core sends out liquid silicon dioxide which forms crystals. However, it is so hot that it flows like Pahoehoe lava, a river of crystal.

B: I was thinking of a map that is just a wide open plain. Completely nothing but a single plain with no barriers or anything. It would be hard to effectively defend your base if their is nowhere to cut off the enemy, sort of like the map fortress'.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

Clavin12

Just because diamonds are made of carbon doesn't mean they support life. Or have supported life for that matter.
C l a v i n 1 2

Warfreak

Actually, that is EXACTLY what is implied.

Diamonds (from what we know) can only be produced from super compression and heating of a carbon-based object. (Here on Earth, carbon can be found in organisms)

Can they possibly be formed by pure carbon that was there from the planet's formation, yes. Is it what we would expect, nope.

iron maiden

Exactly, and carbon has been kind of node to death, for heavens sake, we, the life on mire, even the scions are part carbon, i think the swarm to, silicon is the way to go.

[could we give the ships implants? kidding]

Clavin12

I don't think the players will care it's just that giant diamonds are cooler than giant blocks of glass.
C l a v i n 1 2

iron maiden

Remember though, we want this to be different from other mods, changing around which elements we use in the scenery is a pretty big change.

Feared_1

Hey guys:

It doesn't matter what the heck it's made out of. It could be made out of plastic for all anyone cares. It all looks the same, and in Battlezone II will have the same effect when you shoot it, run into it, or look at it.

Let's put big, shiny, beautiful crystally objects on the map to make it look more decent.

iron maiden

agreed, now, about these ideas, i really like them but they seem to have been ignored.

QuoteA: Glass is actually a liquid with a very high viscosity, perhaps we could have it so that the moon as an opening in the crust where the weak but still active molten core sends out liquid silicon dioxide which forms crystals. However, it is so hot that it flows like Pahoehoe lava, a river of crystal.

B: I was thinking of a map that is just a wide open plain. Completely nothing but a single plain with no barriers or anything. It would be hard to effectively defend your base if their is nowhere to cut off the enemy, sort of like the map fortress'.

AHadley

Quote from: iron maiden on November 20, 2009, 06:14:26 PM
A: Glass is actually a liquid with a very high viscosity

Common mis-knowledge.

Glass is atually a seperate state of matter called an Amorphous Solid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_solid

Technically, this means that glass crystals cannot exist, since glass is not crystalline. This does not stop its ability to form random shapes that appear like crystals.

However, as Feared said, it doesn't matter what it is.

As for the flat plain, that would be odd. How do we explain the user being pushed back by the map's boundaries? Being able to hit them is a sign of bad mapmaking...

iron maiden

Well, yes, there would be four walls to form some kind of boundary, like a sandbox.

Rocket

you could use saline crystals.

oh, btw, who says the moon has to be grey? not every planet or moon is grey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Io_moon

that is not your regular grey moon.

maybe because of the moon falling out of orbit, it puts such great force on the moon, that it starts to be very unstable, parts breaking off, and lava poring out of its volcanoes in great abundance because of the internal collapsing of the moon.
Hidden Defenders Mod

Mr X

Rocket, you seem to be confused, there are two moons in the story, one you land on and one that hits the planet.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

iron maiden

Do either have any real differences from each other or is one more active in any way?

VSMIT

One's dead and the other is going to kill you?
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.