• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hardware Only?

Started by Ultraken, November 20, 2009, 12:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

Would keeping it help in porting it to other OS's?
What box???

AHadley

Would losing it help with the W7 issue?

Ultraken

Quote from: AHadley on November 26, 2009, 04:29:36 AM
Would losing it help with the W7 issue?
It would, though only indirectly.  The software renderer imposes a lot of constraints, and removing it would make a lot of things easier.

Quote from: Red Devil on November 25, 2009, 06:51:19 PM
Would keeping it help in porting it to other OS's?
I doubt it, since large portions of the software renderer are tightly-wound assembler code.  :)

Red Devil

In that case, all I can say is.....Killllll it!  :lol:
What box???

Ultraken

Red Devil

Heh :-)  *puts more wood in fireplace*
What box???

Nielk1

Click on the image...

AHadley

Steeveeo

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

technoid

If there is still some small fraction of a conscious conflict about keeping the software mode, why not fix a little bit of its code as best as possible, leave it aside, then make a totally separate exe/compile for the hardware-only, which then becomes the main file(s)?   Perhaps that could be a little better than having a new hardware mode update, and also the original/prior BZ1 release that isn't upgraded?  That would make it 3 separate versions (old, updated & updated h/w mode only), but you get the best of all worlds. If that will cause trouble in networking, then I don't know.  Does BZI have version-checking like in BZII?

Firestorm29

A thought just occurred to me, would the 1.5 exe be able to play with players from 1.4? If so, then that could act as a 2nd exe allowing older PCs to still be able to play with newer ones. Would there be anything that could keep that from happening like bug fixes?

Zero Angel

QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Ultraken

I'll keep the original renderer in a separate branch just in case.

Vid

I wouldn't think we'd need the software mode anymore, unless for some reason onboard graphics chipsets couldn't handle hardware mode.  However video cards are pretty cheap. 

Commando

Intel video cards have been problematic when it came to the graphics rewrite for bz2 so I'd watch out for those type of cards.