• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone1 kerfuffle

Started by Ultraken, November 20, 2009, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

As an aside, the anonymity and lack of social cues of communication on the internet makes it all too easy for disagreements like this to spiral out of control into epic conflagrations.  People commit actions and post things online that they wouldn't dare face-to-face.  It's easy to be a complete dick to words on the screen.  It's much harder to be a complete dick to someone in person, though that doesn't stop some from trying.

On the other hand, Spock's profligate use of the banhammer to maintain "ideological purity" on his site isn't doing his cause any favors.  "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers..."

Update: that second paragraph came across as much more incendiary than I intended...

lucky_foot

LOL. That phrase puts it all together all to perfectly. :D
Jonathan S.

Launch

I saw on some board maybe this one ( to lazy to go back ) it was your birthday Lucky , wooty woot and many more !
http://bzfederation.com
Taking Battlezone to a new level ...

lucky_foot

Quote from: Launch on November 27, 2009, 04:57:13 PM
I saw on some board maybe this one ( to lazy to go back ) it was your birthday Lucky , wooty woot and many more !

It is. Thanks. :D Big 25 now. :)
Jonathan S.

Baldrick

yes It appears I'm out of Spock's empire now.
I tried to get back in, but got enough insults in the process so I told him where to stick it. He threatened to kick me from the server about 6 times and never did it. So it would appear he isn't actually able to do that.

What happened was...
Neilk1 posted his post as it appears on this forum. i thought this was a fair comment and myself and Spork answered it coherently and with reasonable points. mainly that BZ98 is in essence the original game, with some slight fixes ( my actual word on there was modifications) and that we don't like some of the changes made in BZE, mainly the different vehicles and factories, and personally the lack of single player campaign.
These comments, and Neilk1's original message were duly deleted. and it was made clear that the topic was not for debate, just there to slag off this forum. (which I think has been quite fair on Spock's forum, no lies you tell it as it is.)
I complained to SPock saying he shouldn't just delete those sort of things, as that was EXACTLY what he slags off this forum for doing. I pointed out the hypocrisy. I was duly banned.

I had an ongoing argument with him over email, He was his usual self. It came to a head on the server and I told him where to go.
Luckily for me I quite like BZ2...

Quote from: Ultraken on November 27, 2009, 04:42:01 PM
On the other hand, Spock's profligate use of the banhammer to maintain "ideological purity" on his site isn't doing his cause any favours.  "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers..."

Exactly.

Red Devil

Logical, civil, and good-natured, fun people are always welcome here.  :-)

ad hominem and all that other negative stuff, not so much.

As for the different flavors of stock games, hey, variety is the spice of life.  :-)
What box???

Blunt Force Trauma

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 27, 2009, 11:21:45 AM
LMAO! He removed my post and banned me, and everyone here can see how clean, simple, and correct my post was. I still would prefer my user be deleted instead of banned but, hey, close enough.

I too am again banned from spock's battzone1.net server for posting earlier in this thread, though I didn't mention any one in particular. . .

There will always be a faction wanting the game as is. They enjoy tweaking/cheating and won't be happy with any version that prevents it.

Eddy

In an odd way, I see no huge issue with it anymore, IF those playing the game understand the game's brokenness and susceptibility. BZ1.4's most crippling issue is the VERY few-and-far-between newcomers are not informed the game is incredibly easy to tamper with and that many do.

To add insult to injury, I find it a shame when the server host openly (don't want to step on toes linking to it) tells newcomers that the server is "hack proof".  Much like the spider speaking to the fly.

As I said, because this 'bz universe' community IS so tiny. . .both BZ/E and BZ2. . . any mischief gets recognized and commented on.  I think mostly because everyone left playing have a deep affection for the game they have played for the last decade.

ssuser

This long term ongoing kerfluffle has gotten very tiresome. I propose a general truce on all sides. If thru PM's it can be worked out, I recommend that all bans be lifted - Spock can be reinstated on this board and BZC, and in return he must agree to unban everyone on his forums and discontinue his practice of arbitrary banning. From there, we can see how people's behavior progresses. If everyone treads lightly for awhile, than the provisional truce can remain in effect. If not, I guess we would be back to where we are now. The current state of affairs is not good, however. There is too much negative energy floating around.

Launch

Quote from: Baldrick on November 27, 2009, 05:17:38 PM
I had an ongoing argument with him over email, He was his usual self. It came to a head on the server and I told him where to go.
Luckily for me I quite like BZ2..

Good point for a newcomer to witness. You post on Spocks forum and play on his server and then play BZE your banned. If you go to the BZE ( dx ) server and try to talk logic your banned like I was .. even though I haven't played a game in almost 2 years now  ... The drunk is the best he can come up with. There is no hope online for BZ1 being run from a private server , a gamer that is there watching everything you do or say.

I have no doubt a better BZ can be made , the server control is my biggest problem.
http://bzfederation.com
Taking Battlezone to a new level ...

Blunt Force Trauma

I say. . .let's do it ssuser. 

You, and I suppose others at this board, will learn the lesson most long time BZ1.4 players learned long, long ago.

By hey, it just a game, let's give the other cheek a try again. . . what the heck. . .

Baldrick

Quote from: ssuser on November 27, 2009, 05:36:38 PM
This long term ongoing kerfluffle has gotten very tiresome. I propose a general truce on all sides. If thru PM's it can be worked out, I recommend that all bans be lifted - Spock can be reinstated on this board and BZC, and in return he must agree to unban everyone on his forums and discontinue his practice of arbitrary banning. From there, we can see how people's behavior progresses. If everyone treads lightly for awhile, than the provisional truce can remain in effect. If not, I guess we would be back to where we are now. The current state of affairs is not good, however. There is too much negative energy floating around.
I don't think Spock'll do it. I got banned from there mainly because I posted here, I don't think he'd come back now after climbing on his high horse

BTW, SSuser, Thankyou for producing Hell's gate 2, it took me ages. Really really fun challenge.

Red Devil

Life is short. I say we all just stop doing something that we don't enjoy doing.  Why be miserable?
What box???

eddywright

Quote from: Baldrick on November 27, 2009, 04:48:36 AM
Nielk1

I liked your post on freeforums. I thought it was actually constructive and showed a willingness to see 'our' point of view. But my reply and Spork's which were both answering the questions you posed were removed.
When I questioned this removal on the grounds of hypocrisy. I too joined the hallowed hall of banned Battlezoners.

On a more constructive note, I am still interested in helping Ultraken in testing BZ on Windows 7, As I am one of the relative few it seems who can play BZ1 on 7.

Sorry to hear you got hit with the ban hammer.  Did you do anything special to get BZ working in Windows 7?  I'm going to install Win 7 tomorrow and I'll want to install BZ.

Eddy

Baldrick

Don't use ACT, if you have, uninstall it. It stopped me at first. from what I hear it's a bit random whether it will or not and it may be graohics card linked. I just installed BZ from my Xplosiv disc version. It worked fine. Need to change the mouse settings tho. So far I've had no luck with Ken's version of the exe past the point where you hit 'launch', as soon as the actual game begins it crashes for me.

eddywright

I have the same problem with the new exe running it on Vista64.  I have an nvidia 8800GTX and 1.4 and BZE all work pretty well with it.  Other video cards have caused all sorts of problems, so I have to agree that problems are mostly caused by the video card. Do you get any graphic glitches in Windows 7? My chat text weirds out sometimes and I can't see the numbers in the radar (like navs or units). You can see some of the glitches in these videos.

http://www.bz911.com/bze1.wmv
http://www.bz911.com/bze2.wmv
etc...

Watch the gui windows, some of the graphics will turn into white blocks.

Eddy