• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone1 kerfuffle

Started by Ultraken, November 20, 2009, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraken

The two big differences with my custom build are Visual C++ 2008 Express and the August 2009 DirectX SDK.  The latter might have a lot to do with it, but it's hard to tell.  I'd have to dig up and install an older version of the SDK to know for sure.

Nielk1

It's funny to watch Spock gripe on only one line from my post. Even funnier that he does so in a way to make me look wrong when I am probably right. Subbuilds... 1.4, 1.4b, 1.4c, 1.4d, ..., 1.4l, 1.4m, 1.4n.

Last I recall Spock had them using M or N which he modified and the last common one was L, though this could be incorrect and I have no issue with being corrected in a civil way.

Click on the image...

Baldrick

I think the last version was O, then it became 'BZ98' this is common to all those who use free forums, the L was the last one that was backed by Battlezone Club I believe. I got kicked partly for having an opinion. (I was actively told I HAVE NO OPINION) and partly because I called bz98 a modified version of 1.4. 1.4 is the stock game as it was last released by Activision. this is What the readme on my version from my disc, (this is the Xplosiv version, they used to rerelease older games at low price in the UK and Europe, as such it was probably the last version to be released for sale) says:

QuoteBattlezone Patch 1.4 Information

The patch has now successfully updated your version of Battlezone to have
the following features:

General Fixes

* More anti-cheating measures have been implemented.

* Bugs regarding compatibility with DirectX 6.0 have been fixed.

Once again, thanks to everyone who helped out and to all our loyal Battlezone fans.

The Battlezone Team

The version released by Spock is 1.4 with some fixes and a lot of extra maps. I don't know exactly what was fixed or how, I'm just a player, not a programmer.

ssuser

I think the last big installer from the Battlezone club was 1.4L - there were plans for an "M" version but people were drifting away at that point and it never got done.

The actual 1.4 EXE patch is the old Activision patch - that might be included in Spock's installer, but all the extra maps and such would be fan-created content. Acti's patch is about 4.5 MB in size, if you see a patch bigger than that named 1.4, it is NOT the official Activision version.

Baldrick

The version of TRO Spock gives away. Is that modified at all? Or is it pretty much untouched?

Nielk1

Click on the image...

TwinShadow

Quote from: ssuser on November 27, 2009, 05:36:38 PM
This long term ongoing kerfluffle has gotten very tiresome. I propose a general truce on all sides. If thru PM's it can be worked out, I recommend that all bans be lifted - Spock can be reinstated on this board and BZC, and in return he must agree to unban everyone on his forums and discontinue his practice of arbitrary banning. From there, we can see how people's behavior progresses. If everyone treads lightly for awhile, than the provisional truce can remain in effect. If not, I guess we would be back to where we are now. The current state of affairs is not good, however. There is too much negative energy floating around.

Just a quick thing, people don't really change sometimes. Some will, but others may never change. In this case, a "truce" will probably be pointless since I doubt it'll ever happen.

I don't have an exact reason why I was banned from Spock's forum. I made a post about how I sometimes don't agree with some bans, but many are justified and that he was warned several times to not do stuff again. But, obviously, that got me banned, he deleted my post and left one line in a quote: "Piss one off, you can expect a ban to be seen." <- I said that in my post, he deleted and two have quoted it to keep it there for whatever intensive purpose. I couldn't care less any more.

I had the funny feeling I can cite their site to the host for copyright infringement, but I've held off on it because then I'd be going too far with the matter. (in doing so, I've done nothing, really don't want to go through that trouble anyway)

Blunt Force Trauma

Quote from: TwinShadow on November 28, 2009, 05:12:18 PM
Just a quick thing, people don't really change sometimes. Some will, but others may never change. In this case, a "truce" will probably be pointless since I doubt it'll ever happen.

To see if things can change, all you need to do is take a quick peek at the spock's server most any time during the day.  While I'm currently banned,  I would wager the price of several BZ CDs that you'll find him and the guy paying for the server, posing well known BZ player names and responding as that player to cause angst and animosity.

But again, most of us long time BZ1.4 players learned the BZ landscape years ago.  One of about 3 primary reasons BZ1.4 is now defunct.

Zero Angel

Everywhere you go, theres never any shortage of drama.  :-D
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Baldrick

QuoteTo see if things can change, all you need to do is take a quick peek at the spock's server most any time during the day.  While I'm currently banned,  I would wager the price of several BZ CDs that you'll find him and the guy paying for the server, posing well known BZ player names and responding as that player to cause angst and animosity.

I saw myself posed yesterday, twice, once as my forum username and as my Youtube name.
I'm gonna give this whole thing a break for a while. It's too petty to devote my time to anymore. So if anyone does get angst from 'Baldrick' it's not me. I'm washing my hands of it.

Steeveeo

All this hoote and angst are why I am not playing "BZ1" again until BZC comes out.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Red Devil

Some need kerfuffle; most don't.
What box???

Xtreme

Can I say something?

I haven't contributed much to the BZ community other than my 12 year membership and a little TRO mod, but I recommend putting the Spock drama behind the patch team and focusing only on development. It's widely known that Spock is anti-progress for anything that does not support his own agenda in at least some way. This is why he is angry that his hands have been/should be removed from the 1.5 patch development process. I've been away from that mess for nearly half a year and things, in general, run much more smoothly.

I also know that if you walk up to a rabid dog and try to calm it down and reach down to pet it, it will always bite you.

Anyway, just a word of experience.

Good luck with the 1.5 patch! I can't offer much for the development, but I'll be sure to download it upon release!

EDIT: Sorry I know it's my first post since I registered 8 months ago.  :-P

TheJamsh

I think Xtreme nailed it on the head. Lets get on with it

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Warfreak

Spock and the rest of the community (Both sides) never had any control over how much/little Ken feels like doing for the game in the patch, I'm pretty sure he has his own plan that he will be following no matter what.

A mere mortal cannot stop a god. (Best comparison I can come up with.)