• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

How are animated GIF's made?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, November 20, 2009, 04:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I can export out of TS as an AVI animation file, but is there a program to convert AVI's to animated Gif's? Tanks BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Warfreak

No, an animated GIF MUST be made by having a picture per frame and getting an animated image maker and making it compile all the images into the animated format. (Which all it is is a container of the images which knows when to pull up which image).

TheJamsh

pah, use .APNG (animated PNG file) wherever possible. Dont loose the quality the way .GIF's do :)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

mrtwosheds

Warfreak

Considering his personal text and the fact this in the OT, i think he wants it for his pic.

TheJamsh

Quote from: mrtwosheds on November 20, 2009, 05:47:25 PM
Neither will work in bz2.  :-D
I know, but we can dream :P... imagine... animated skies... moving textures... shader-like water.. ooo the prettyness. I think BBB has gotten close to animated textures with the caustics ones he made.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

S.cavA.rmyG.en

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 21, 2009, 03:24:55 AM
I know, but we can dream :P... imagine... animated skies... moving textures... shader-like water.. ooo the prettyness. I think BBB has gotten close to animated textures with the caustics ones he made.

I wonder why it has not ben done with all the crome  form the scions.
I mean all some one needs is the right effect to animate the texture with.
but I don't know enoth of the coding so don't take my word on it.
wate now I got somthing to test GIF :|
I think the models could be recoded to use a form of GIF as a list of orderd PIC textures.
you could all ways use a 6 layer Model animation having each Mesh whith a diffent texture
but it mite be hard to get the ODF just right.
3 meshs for antmating the Model and 3 run in loop acttivated as a sub animation with the fist 3.
I think It could work but I am not completly surr.
I think 3 would work for a unaintmated model like the ISDF tank.
│░│
│▒│
│▒│
│▓│
│▓│
│▓│Behold The Power Of Scrap.
If it works in-game, it doesn't matter how wierd and broken it looks code wise!
what is scrap if its not wierd and broken?

BNG Da BZ Fool

This is neat Bink (believe it not) can convert an AVI to GIF, but without animation. It generated several still images, but how can I get them to play like an animated GIF? Does anyone care to reveal how I can compile all of them into a single animated GIF? Tanks BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

I use imageready, which is a part of photoshop6.

AHadley

Load them into seperate layers in GIMP, mark each layer as a frame, and save as an animated GIF.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Awesome, thanks AH. Not only would I like an animated avatar, but I'd also like to build a collection of gifs for all of my models too.

technoid

I've used Microsoft GIF Animator several times in the past.  It's abandonware, but works like a charm and is free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_GIF_Animator

Be sure to also optimize your animation for quality and filesize tweaking. I think I used GIMP for that. 

And don't use something like this for your avatar especially when I'm on dialup (well unless I turn off images in the browser).   There was another animated gif like that but it was more like 20MB, not 7MB.  :mrgreen: