• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

musical instruments

Started by iron maiden, November 21, 2009, 02:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is better, bass guitar or electric guitar?

bass guitar
3 (33.3%)
electric guitar
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Axeminister

Mesa Boogie amps totally rock!
There is no knowledge that is not power.

iron maiden

Actually looking to get a set of pedals, preferably a heavy metal one, plug it up to my bass and see what happens.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

VSMIT

What kind of person uses a pedal effect on a bass?

Oh, right.  One who can't play well.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

I know a good bass player who uses a line 6 bass pod, not exactly a pedal but it has some nifty stuff built in.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

Line 6 Pod? Those things are horrible.

I'd have to say both instruments are equal. Though I don't actually have an electric guitar.

Tanglewood Liberty electric bass
Mountain accoustic (basically a yard of japanese plywood)
Crafter
Simon and Patrick (beautiful instrument)

TheJamsh

Quote from: AHadley on November 22, 2009, 05:06:49 AM
Line 6 Pod? Those things are horrible.

yeh his bass does sound like a fart, but thats probably not helped by the amp either lol

Dianoga4

I have a Fender amp, Seagull acoustic and 2 Godin electrics. One of the Godin's is a cheap model I bought after I hadn't had a guitar for years and wanted something and didn't have much cash at the time. The other Godin is a better model that I really like and it sounds good. They are not as well known as the big names but they make some really nice stuff. When it comes to instruments anyways it's mostly personal preference. I also still have 3 different effects pedals, a multi effects, old 4 track recorder which I don't use anymore really because I got a newer interface thing (can't remember the name off the top of my head) that plugs into the computer to record straight onto the computer. With the software I can have quite a few tracks. Also a cheaper but decent recording mic. I also kick myself in the ass everyday for not playing as much as I used to when I was younger. I am very out of practice. :(

AHadley

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 22, 2009, 05:41:33 AM
yeh his bass does sound like a fart, but thats probably not helped by the amp either lol

My bass sounds like that, but that's definately the amp. It's about twice my age :lol:

I do use a pedal, but that's because it has some effects that I can't replicate any other way. My amp doesn't have drive, gain, treble or bass controls on it, nor distortion, which I do actually use for my bass.

Axeminister

VSMIT: for the most part you are right, a bass sounds lik dog with effects. But I have heard some very cool jazz bass that use some effects like wah that sound super.
Dianoga4: What I plug into my pc to record is a M-Audio Fasttrack. They make many different one, mine is for single input.  Comes with a bunch of recording software, but I really only use Audacity which I heard about here at bzuniverse.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

VSMIT

Quote from: Axeminister on November 22, 2009, 09:33:16 AM
VSMIT: for the most part you are right, a bass sounds lik dog with effects. But I have heard some very cool jazz bass that use some effects like wah that sound super.
Indeed, I should have specified.  Any effect that drastically changes the sound (e.g.: Heavy Metal, Overdrive, Synth, Flanger, etc.) sucks for bass.  Some compressors sound good.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

iron maiden

How does me wanting to get a heavy metal pedal mean I do not play well? I have only been playing a few months but consider myself to have some skill playing my bass. I wanted to get one, or least try one, to see what the sound differences would be when i played some songs.

VSMIT

It masks the sound way too much.  By using one of those pedals, it means that you're counting on the effect to cover up how you play.

Dianoga4

I just looked and the thing I use to connect to the computer is a Tascam US-122L Audio Interface. I can have 2 mics or a mic and guitar plugged in at the same time and record them both at the same time. It came as a package with a Tascam LD-74 condenser mic which I think sounds pretty decent. The package came with Cubase LE software for recording which seemed to work pretty good. I haven't use the stuff in a while but want to get back into it and at least fool around with some recording.

iron maiden

No one said i would perform for people with it, i would be sure to be well skilled in the song before doing that.

TheJamsh

Bass never really needs pedals. A compressor or a good EQ if you have a particularly crap one will make it sound nice. Compression is nearly always added to bass in mix-downs, so it will improve the sound somewhat. Bass is what 'fills' all that space between guitar and kick drum, so whatever you do it will effect your bands sound a little more than you think.