• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

BZ1 and Anet

Started by eddywright, November 22, 2009, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddywright

While we're discussing updates to BZ1, I'd like to bring up the problem with Anet and the lack of a identity system.  Since there's no true game indentity, there is no consequences for bad behavior at the player level. All modern games create unique identities, eliminating the ability for someone to "pose" as another and to simply change names.

There's been discussion on and off about a bolt-on security system at the server level but this is far from perfect. The real solution is a different lobby shell but from what I have gathered, anet is deeply entrenched in the code and would be difficult to rework.  What about the Heat interface? Does that gives us another way to create a lobby outside of anet without major code rewrites?  I have the SDK development kit but it's hard to understand how it works with BZ.

If a shell could be created using the same methods Heat used (emulate the Heat server from BZ's point of view), could a lobby shell be created supporting unique identities?

Eddy

General BlackDragon

Perhaps the game could write down when someone joins, they make a username/pass to "login" to the server with, and then the server remembers that username and ties it to the pw.

i.e., when you create your name, nobody else can use it without knowing your password.

*****General BlackDragon*****

That assumes one server...

-Av-

eddywright

It could be on a per server basis, that's better than nothing :)

This will be a challenge I'm sure...

Eddy

Firestorm29

It's definitely possible. From what I can tell from how M-player, HEAT.net and Gamespy works, it's lobby was separate. The game would be started after launch was pressed with the server info already being provided, so it bypasses the lobby.

I could see this working like this: A separate lobby system is programmed with listing games. Once you enter a game you want to play and the host hits launch, a script would run like this. The first is the host which starts the game then goes to the the multiplayer and into the IP address and set-up the room. The the script sends the host info to the other players which inserts the info and takes you into the pre-game lobby.

Thats how I figure it works. The games I played through those services including Metal Fatigue, Mechcommander, and Battlezone 1 seem to follow this same pattern. The game starts up after the button is pressed, and their scripts provide the information for the game to to straight to their pre-game lobbies where you select whatever you'll play with or use.

Hope that helps.

Nielk1

Anet is an all in one game list lobby system that is extremely dated. For your information.
Look up Activenet for more.

Click on the image...

Dx

Ultraken

Raknet looks promising.  I had run across it before, was curious about it for my own game project.

BZ2 uses GameSpy, which has the huge advantage of not needing game-specific servers.

And the major disadvantage of requiring Gamespy support for it's existence, since you CAN set up your own Anet server but not your own Gamespy server.

Or has someone found a way around this?   :)

-Av-

Nielk1

Quote from: Avatar on November 23, 2009, 05:54:11 PM
And the major disadvantage of requiring Gamespy support for it's existence, since you CAN set up your own Anet server but not your own Gamespy server.

-Av-

Someone on BZ2Maps claims to have old protocol software.

Click on the image...

Dx

Quote from: Avatar on November 23, 2009, 05:54:11 PM

-Av-

While paying 30 a month for a anet server may seem like a good option, i only see it being used to control and manipulate the players, not to mention split the players and driving most to quit the game.

Maybe everyone not having their own Gamespy server is a blessing.

Ultraken

That's a good point.  Gamespy servers would act as a neutral third party.

As long as Gamespy never gives up on the old girl (BZ1 OR 2) it's a great setup, having a powerful, neutral server for everyone.  Still, if someone's going to go to the trouble of coding in Gamespy support (or something like it) as a replacement for ANET it would be good to have a backup...  or at least keep such a thing in mind for the future.

I mean really, it's a great idea and Ken is up for sainthood for even thinking of fixing BZ1 to work in a more modern setting but given the size of the community would Gamespy even want to add support for BZ1?

-Av-

Dx

If bz1 was on gamespy someone would lose their little Empire and banhammer. I can't see him accepting that.

Nielk1

Might I suggest built in banning. For the game itself.

Click on the image...