• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

What method does BZII use to read texture related infomation?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, November 27, 2009, 12:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

Is it hardcoded or can modelers edit how BZII looks for and displays a texture on a model?

Can a models textures be listed in the models ODF like I've noticed in some ODF files particular weapons ODF's for effects?

Has anyone besides myself ever tried to get an X model into BZII, but gave up because the X format really just is not fully supported by BZII?

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

TheJamsh

the only texture that can be referenced by an ODF file is a glowskin, but in PB2 and upwards, BZ2 automatically finds the glowskin the same way it finds the multiskin, so the line isnt needed unless the glowskin texture has an alternate naming convention. But yeh other than that its all hardcoded.

I think FE experimented with the .x format (there are some .x models in the .pak file), but they didn't work, or even show in-game. .x format isn't supported properly because it doesn't NEED to be. You can do more with .xsi. Technically speaking, .x format isnt supported by BZ2 AT ALL.

As far as im aware the only reason BZ2 can barely read .x files is because the contents of it are similar to .xsi, but not the same, but there is no code support (that i know of) that is there to purely support .x files.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

Also effects, draw geoms, that use very simple models with one frame, can have the material set by ODF.

Click on the image...

BNG Da BZ Fool

What about adding support in a future PB for some newer format like the current ASCII text based XSI format?  

Surely, we all realize by now the old BZII XSI format is basically dead, and adding support for a newer model format is sorely needed???

I don't particularly advocate the X format, but so far it's the only one that comes really close to being compatible for BZII straight out of the 3d modeler. Everything else actually needs to be converted with some really suckish free model conversions solutions. Just some food for thought; I also realize this is actually no easy task to do either. BNG.    
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

TheJamsh

Unfortunately thats just the way it is. 3DS max is the best modeller for BZ2 because there is a working exporter for it. Closely followed by blender.

While im sure GSH would say updating to the next format is something he believes in, its probably not that worthwhile. Support for the latest format of .xsi would be great, but tbh most modellers STILL dont export to that, softimage is a lesser-used format. In fact most modern games have their own format specific to each game (although i suspect its just the headers that are changed).

The only way you are going to get a compatible xsi straight out of a modelling program is with an old version of softimage xsi, and im pretty sure lizard is the only guy with a copy of that.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Actually, I'm advocating moving forward rather then backwords. Even OM stated that the newer XSI format is much better then the old BZII version ever was. I know BZII is an old video game and yada, yada, yada. There's no way to add support for a newer modeling format? Or it just that no one has the time to add support? BNG.

TheJamsh

Probably time. GSH volunteers to do all this stuff, and there hasn't been any private betas since PB5.1's release. Its not on the highest list of things to do anyway as far as im aware.

mrtwosheds

I would think it is very unlikely to happen, It would be the sort of changes that could break allot more than it fixed and there would be little point in doing it unless you had a whole load of replacements for the original models.

TheJamsh

Until there is no feasible way to get new models into BZ2, its just not neccesary. BZ2 couldn't do anything different or better with a newer version of .xsi.

As the saying goes 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. In some peoples eyes im contradicting the general creation of the 1.3 patch here but i digress...

BNG Da BZ Fool

Sadly, I think you're right. Updating to another newer modeling format for BZII is on the bottom of the priority list. Does anybody know if the latest version of MAX still supports the BZII XSI format? Hopefully, OM's exporter will go some where as I've begun to run dry on alternates methods to get animations into the game, and sort of getting burned out on making regular stuff for the game without animation. BNG. :|