• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

BZ Gold?

Started by Hookshot, November 28, 2009, 08:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookshot

Hello BZ Universe,

I guess I'll tell my story first before I ask my probably noobish question.

I used to play BZ2 many years ago, infact it was my first PC game and really got me into PC gaming and gaming in general. I played the crap out of it (unfortunatly I never finished the SP missions, too young at the time to really play them well) and even joined this very forum to get help and mod's.

But after a while, I stopped playing and moved on to other games. But with the closing of Pandemic studios I had HUGE nostalgia rush to play BZ2 again and get BZC. I couldn't find my original BZ2 copy (think I lost it :cry:) and just bought a nice one off ebay.

But for BZC I was wondering if it was worth it to get the Gold version or just get the original one. Or is there a way to upgrade the original to Gold or should I just buy the original and torrent the Gold version (after hanging around /v/ for a while you get used to the idea of torrenting, although I personally have never done it yet). Gold is expensive and I don't really have that kind of money to be throwing around on a decade old game.

Now I probably just set myself up to get banhammered but I'll uphold my honor if you guys say not to torrent.

Thanks for the help!

We were promised flying cars in the future... can mine be a scout?

ssuser

BZ Universe has a strict no-piracy rule, so talking about torrents is not a good idea - you will not find any help for that here.

As far as BZ goes, I'm not a big fan of Battlezone 2, but as far as I know there was never a Battlezone 2 Gold set released, just regular Battlezone 2. This is the game you need to play BZC when it's released. You should be able to find a used or jewel cased copy of Battlezone 2 for a reasonable price on Amazon or EBay.

Battlezone Gold was the uber-set for Battlezone 1. That came with a copy of Battlezone, a second disc containing both the Battlegrounds expansion and the Red Odyssey, plus a strategy guide. That set WILL be expensive if you can find a copy of it available for sale somewhere.

Warfreak

Damn thing posted when I never meant to...

I'd say go ahead and buy BZ1 Gold... or not (after looking at the link).

*To correct last statement which manage to slip in. (Damn thing posted when I closed window, but oh well.) BZ2 Gold is illegal due to the fact it must be acquired via torrent and is the full game. (Don't remember where I heard the money part.)

Hookshot

I didn't mean if there was a BZ2 Gold edition, I ment the first Battlezone Gold edition as ssuser pointed out at the end of his post.

Sorry for the confusion. BZC is a mod of BZ2 I'm guessing, should have just said BZ1.

Is there a way to get the two expansions from Gold if I just bought the original battlezone that didn't come with them?

Thanks for the quick replies! And of course I will uphold the no-piracy rule. And yes my new BZ2 copy is legal for those wondering.

Dx

Quote from: Warfreak on November 28, 2009, 09:28:23 AM
BZ2 Gold DOES exist but it is NOT LEGAL AT ALL.

It is a Fan-Made compilation of Patch 1.2 and Custom Assets for it packed into the NEVER SHOULD BE EDITED Data.Pak and apparently sells for cash. THIS IS ILLEGAL.

OMG, that means Atari can sue for damages, Activision said no restictions on mods but money can't be envolved.
This is the first i heard of this going on.

Dx

Hookshot

Quote from: Dx on November 28, 2009, 10:02:13 AM
Here's Battlezone Gold for sale on amazon but the prices are insane. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00001SHMP/ref=sr_1_olp_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1259427617&sr=8-5&condition=used

Insane is putting it mildly. But I'm guessing the copies of Gold were limited at the time of release and are now collectors items?

Dx

Bz Gold was Activisions attempt at helping Red Odyssey to be distributed. I don't know all the facts on it.
I sold my Gold cd for $10 long ago.

Hookshot

I guess a better question to ask is if Red Odyssey is any good. I remember reading somewhere that the expansions weren't all that great but being the completionist that I am I want to play them.

If I can't get the expansions any other way I'll just buy a regular copy of BZ1 and be done with it.

Edit: I mean buy the expansions, I'm not looking for an installer link or torrent.

Red Devil

The Red Odyssey is classic and very good.  One of my all-time favorites.  I talked with the lead designer a few years ago and he said he may have a few copies lying about, so try getting in touch with him for a legit copy.
What box???

lucky_foot

I was lucky to get my BZgold edition release for cheap before the price went through the roof. :)
Jonathan S.

AHadley

I've played TRO recently and I must say that whilst it's much harder than the original, it's still worth getting.

What am I talking about? Of course it's worth getting! It's Battlezone!

Hookshot

Quote from: Red Devil on November 28, 2009, 11:56:49 AM
The Red Odyssey is classic and very good.  One of my all-time favorites.  I talked with the lead designer a few years ago and he said he may have a few copies lying about, so try getting in touch with him for a legit copy.

Thanks Red, do you know how I could get in touch with him? If you could PM me that would be great.

And thanks to everyone who has replied. I must say, I thought this community would have long been dead after I stopped playing. But seeing you all still active just lifts my spirits even more for this underrated but great series.

I think I'll hang around a little more then what I did last time.

One last thing, another noobish question, off topic but how do you set an Avatar? Couldn't find the option to do it in the profile manager.

Thanks again!

I assume you're talking about Sgt Hulka, who used to have a few boxes of TRO in his garage.  I just asked Toni if he still has any contact with Hulka and he said no, that the only way he'd know of to get in touch with him would be the TeamEvolve web site.

If anyone could get ahold of him AND he does still have some copies we could set up sales here in the US for him.

-Av-

iron maiden

QuoteOne last thing, another noobish question, off topic but how do you set an Avatar? Couldn't find the option to do it in the profile manager.

Go to your profile and go to Forum Profile information, I think you have to be at least a drunken constructor or up to set your own picture instead of the ones already there but i could be wrong.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream