• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

So, what do you enjoy about Bz2?

Started by Blue_Leader, December 01, 2009, 07:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue_Leader

Battlezone 2 is a pretty old game, there's no denying that and yet it still has a die hard fan base that keeps coming back for more and more and lets not forget the modders that do a great job of spicing up the game every once and awhile.

So the question I'm meaning to ask is, what keeps you in this game? For me, It's just the complex array of Strategy and just ol' fashioned fun of shooting. The game has a fast pace that could make any die-hard FPS person cringe and add that with RTS? You get a pretty damn unique and fun game if you ask me. But what I really enjoy is the community It's so small yet you feel like you know everybody and while there are some people who tend to make the game less enjoyable overall the good outweighs the bad.

So come on and list the reasons why you still play the game today! I'll be reading them throughout the day.  :-D

Axeminister

I had always been a FPS player, and had tried a few RTS games but never liked being out of the action. I had played the single player missions for BZ2 about 20 times before I got a good internet connection and found out about patch 1.2 and G66. After that it was all over, every FPS I played after that would get defeated in a matter of days, then I was back to BZ2 mpi. Replayability is my answer to this. Oh sure, Max Payne and Command and Conquer: Renegade have replayability, but nothing compared to BZ2 mpi. With G66 the main thing that keeps you going is the random attacks, it's never the same. You gotta love that.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Blue_Leader

Quote from: Axeminister on December 01, 2009, 07:55:32 AM
I had always been a FPS player, and had tried a few RTS games but never liked being out of the action. I had played the single player missions for BZ2 about 20 times before I got a good internet connection and found out about patch 1.2 and G66. After that it was all over, every FPS I played after that would get defeated in a matter of days, then I was back to BZ2 mpi. Replayability is my answer to this. Oh sure, Max Payne and Command and Conquer: Renegade have replayability, but nothing compared to BZ2 mpi. With G66 the main thing that keeps you going is the random attacks, it's never the same. You gotta love that.

Yeah, I gotta agree with most of this. I'm not a huge MPI player but even I enjoy it because of the things you listed. I tried getting into Halo 3 when It was released and I played it for about a month and I just really couldn't get into it, It just felt like it was missing something I can't even play Modern warfare 2 because most FPS's all seem the same nowadays but Bz2 brings more depth into the FPS genre than what most games have today.

Command and Conquer: Renegade is a pretty badass game as well, do you still play it?

Axeminister

On occasion I'll play the single player missions through again of Renegade.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

General BlackDragon

I enjoy creating anything I can imagine and watching other people play with it :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Nielk1

The story and the community (for the most part, the modding community at least).

Click on the image...

Clavin12

C l a v i n 1 2

CivBase

The story is awesome and completely original, but my favorite part of the game is the simple combination of FPS and RTS. There is no doubt that it is my favorite game, but I do admit that it has many problems.  The tech tree for each faction is very limited and the game is almost totally based around vehicle on vehicle combat.  The mod have done a good job of fixing some of these problems, but there's only so much that can be done in a mod.  Some more developed FPS combat as well as a more rounded tech tree would do this game good.  Still, even though it has its problems, I can't help but love it.

Blue_Leader

I'd have to agree while I love Bz2 to death it stills feels that, compared to other RTS games the tech tree is extremely small. But I think that's more or less a fault of the fact that it had a small development team plus the fact that the computers of the day had an extremely hard time running it on even low settings just look at the default visibility range (300 meters). All those issues aside they still made a really solid title I just wish it caught on more because games today are extremely bland in terms of originality if you ask me most of the popular games today are just pure FPS and RTS with a few of the RPG type games on the side.

We can always hope that someday as technology improves we will see more developers who will venture into the highly unexplored space of FPS/RTS based games.  :mrgreen:

Clavin12

Imagine bz2 as a virtual reality game.
C l a v i n 1 2

Montana

I've played BZ2 since it was released. I'm not a gamer anymore since I got married. But whenever I get the occasional opportunity to play, BZ2 is always the game I return to.

I was there in the early days of PC games from Doom through Quake and onwards. BZ2 still grabs me and holds my interest long before the eye candy has been fragged.

I miss the days when all the bz2 clans would knock seven bells out of each other and hangout on the old Battlezone forums.

Mr X

http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Ainkut

*pulls out rifle and snipes incoming enemy ships, TUGs them, puts pilots in..*
mm-hm.
Now to make all crafts snipable XD

Mr X

Quote from: Ainkut on December 04, 2009, 03:27:43 PM
*pulls out rifle and snipes incoming enemy ships, TUGs them, puts pilots in..*
mm-hm.
Now to make all crafts snipable XD

Or, you could not snipe them and try to take an enemy hostage using a tug, especially good if you get one of their human players. The chances of success are negligible though.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!