• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Work In Progress

Started by Ultraken, December 02, 2009, 01:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blunt Force Trauma

Quote from: Commando on December 03, 2009, 12:05:26 AM
It's nice to see bz1 isn't dead.  Will be nicer to get some decent performance  in bz1 too.  The bz1 seemed to suffer from the same pausing every 10th of a second that bz2 suffered from before it's dx 9 rewrite.  At least it did for me.

Whoa!  Other than Navbeacon and myself, this is first time I've heard of anyone else mention that!

One reason I stayed with 98se is because I couldn't stand the stuttering in XP.

I was very excited when BZE came out because it doesn't have any of the stuttering at all.

Dx

Quote from: Commando on December 03, 2009, 12:05:26 AM
The bz1 seemed to suffer from the same pausing every 10th of a second that bz2 suffered from before it's dx 9 rewrite.  At least it did for me.

I saw that but it was about every one second in my case, for me the culprit was the nic card/driver.

Commando

Out of curiosity, do you have the TRO source code too or just the 1.4 code?

Ultraken

I don't have either of them.  I have the 1.3 source code used to start the BZ2 revision control database.  Unfortunately, I lost the corresponding game assets and processing tools.

Ultraken

Support for full screen rendering is nearly done, though resolution switching doesn't work yet and the application hangs on device lost instead of recovering properly.

I also found out that getting the shell to work in full screen was as simple as turning on GDI support with IDirect3DDevice9::SetDialogBoxMode.  Of course, I discovered that after spending six hours trying to get the shell to draw into the back buffer...  :x

Dx

Will your renderer be able to support some of the new resolutions we have on LCD's etc.. without  squashing the 3D objects?

Ultraken

That's "just" a matter of setting the projection matrix correctly.  I recently changed the calculation to assume square pixels instead of a 4:3 screen, which isn't perfect but should reduce stretching in widescreen views.

(There's the slight complication of monitors and/or graphics cards stretching normally 4:3 resolutions to fill the entire widescreen view.  That kind of thing is impossible for the game to detect automatically.)

Commando

How are you handling the beta process for the bz1 patch?  Are you going to be running a public beta type test or using a bz2 1.3 type system?

General BlackDragon

So far it seems public, and seems to be working, alot of feedback.

feedback is good  :wink:

*****General BlackDragon*****

Commando

GSH was able to rewrite the bz2 renderer for 1.3 to support the widescreen format.  He may be able to give you some useful hints regarding widescreen support.

Ultraken

It was never a hard problem, just an easy one to neglect or get wrong in the days when 4:3 was the only monitor aspect ratio.  :)

Well, I hope it works on my wall of 12 linked 50" plasma displays...

Oh, wait, that was a dream.

Never mind...  :evil:

-Av-

Red Devil

What box???

Pretty sure it was a dream, but I took a quick snapshot...

Can you imagine the firefights on this baby?  And sniping?  lol...

-Av-

(And no, she's not a tiny little woman, it's a REALLY big screen...)

Ultraken